• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 BII

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have a question for you guys, not about the BII though. My brother has a stock 2003 explorer with a power steering problem. A while back it went out so he replaced the pump, ball joints, and possibly other stuff. Not completely sure. It has been burning fluid since he changed it just about. He has to put a new bottle in every day before he drives, you can smell the burned fluid. Also, when turning left or right his steering wheel shakes violently. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A shot in the dark is he didn't get the lines tight on the pump so it leaks, runs down the engine and cooks off on the exhaust manifold. The pump for my '96 Ex PS pump required a nylon sealing washer, might not have replaced or lost that in the process too.

PS pumps don't like being ran without oil, hopefully he hasn't made his new one into a perpetual whiner. The shaking is probably air in the system because since it is constantly leaking it isn't staying bled.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A shot in the dark is he didn't get the lines tight on the pump so it leaks, runs down the engine and cooks off on the exhaust manifold. The pump for my '96 Ex PS pump required a nylon sealing washer, might not have replaced or lost that in the process too.

PS pumps don't like being ran without oil, hopefully he hasn't made his new one into a perpetual whiner. The shaking is probably air in the system because since it is constantly leaking it isn't staying bled.

Yeah, I don't think he has checked for any leaking (he doesn't like the explorer at all, wants to get a new car soon). He will probably have to get a new pump again.

I will tell him what you said and if he wants to do something about it, that's on him. Thanks for the advice.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been a while fellas. Haven't done anything new... getting low on funds after not working for a couple weeks.

Now that the time has changed once again, it is dark out when I leave for school in the morning. This poses the issue of my headlights needing adjusting. I went outside a little bit ago to check it out, I see the vertical adjusters (long, skinny bolt sticking out of the headlight assembly). I adjusted that a good bit but it's hard to judge distance when they are all out of whack horizontally. I think I have located the adjusters, they are just under the lip of the assembly, but in a very awkward place. I've looked it up a good bit and there are ford adjustment tools available, but I'm not sure which one I would need. I've also read of people who took a 4mm socket and jerry-rigged it to work, not sure how to do that.
A link to the adjuster would be greatly appreciated. Images from google or your own collection of the adjusters would also be awesome :icon_thumby:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got some good news today fellas!

First off, I have 2 days left and I will finally be done with my senior year of high school!

Now to the better news. I might be in possession of another B2 soon, I'm gonna provide some background before moving on.

About one and a half years ago my grandpa was given a manual 87 B2 from a good friend of his. It was meant to be a gift for my brother and I. Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way. The 03 explorer my brother used to own had been in the shop for months. My grandpa was paying for all the work being done to it... Let's just say it needed a lot of work. It was meant to be for my father but, my mother decided that for my brother's 18 birthday, she wanted him to have the explorer. My grandpa wasn't happy about it but he caved in and allowed him to have it for his birthday. That left the 87 B2, which was supposed to be for my brother and I. My grandpa ended up giving it to my father and I. My father was supposed to share it with me and help teach me how to drive it (I had my learner's permit but learned on an auto, little to no experience with a manual). That didn't end up happening and my father took the 87 over. In the end, I got the rearend of the deal, leaving me without a vehicle (if you can't tell by now, my father is a piece of shit). My grandpa felt bad and decided to surprise me with an 89 B2! I was very excited and didn't expect it at all. Eventually my dad wrecked the 87 while driving intoxicated. It has sat in the driveway with a smashed front end for the better part of a year. My brother joined the Army 2 months ago and left for basic training a month ago. He gave the explorer to my father, which is fine by me, it has a lot of problems anyways. My father has now decided he is moving to Florida with his lady friend and her kids, leaving the 87 behind. That puts us here.

My grandpa already has a donor B2 for the front end. I'm moving in with him this weekend, since I will be out of school. He has a nice shop where he restored his 64 GMC a few years back. He said that we could do the front end on the 87 since I will be living there, which is awesome.

I have a vision for the 87 that was first projected onto my current 89. I want to turn it into a mud monster. The way I see it, if I can get my hands on a nice D35, it shouldn't be too hard to put in if im already going to have the front end apart. Of course I would need an 8.8" rear with the same gears to go with it ;). I still need to talk with my grandpa about any plans, not sure what kind of vision he has for it.

As for the 89, I'm coming into some money for high school graduation. I plan to invest in new coils and leaf springs for her. Possibly new body mounts as well, current ones look like smashed Skittles.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for the diagram Ray, sorry it took so long for the appreciation! Got the headlights good enough to see at night!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Once again, it's been a while. Still haven't done anything on either vehicle. Been a hectic few weeks. Things are finally starting to die down. Have two tests next week for a certification, after I get that I'm gonna start applying for jobs. Now that I have moved in with my grandparents, I have a nice shop and tools to work with. Been working through the costs of things and it looks like I will be able to get new coils, leaves, and body mounts. Haven't ordered them yet, going to think on it a few more days just to make sure it's what I want to do. I have a question about the body mounts that nobody seems to have a straight answer for: Do I have to do anything inside the cab when replacing body mounts? (Such as removing carpet for access to bolts, etc.)
The leaves and coils I'm looking at are from JBG.
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1984-1990-Ford-Bronco-II-Stock-Coil-Springs/productinfo/93200/
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1983-1990-Ford-Bronco-ll-Leaf-Pack-Heavy-Duty-Stock-Height/productinfo/93250/

Anybody have experience with these? Also, which length u-bolts would you recommend?

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1983-1997-Ford-Bronco-II-and-Ranger-Lower-Coil-Spring-Stud-Nut/productinfo/93226/
Is this the nut that goes inside the coil spring to hold it in place? Gonna go ahead and get new ones if it is.

Body mounts I'm looking at:
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/1984-90-Ford-Bronco-ll-Body-Mount-Bushings-Black/productinfo/93020/
Where can I get new bolts for these?

Let me know what you guys think.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Yes, you need to get the carpet up for replacing body mounts. There's 4 on each side of the BII. The worst ones are by the fuel tank. I wound up using a sawzall to remove mine because of rust. If you're not lifting it (body lift) the kit should come with new bolts, washers, and nuts, ask to make sure before you purchase. If you do a body lift they will come with all new hardware. You need a good jack and air tools if possible. Really a 2 person job, hard to hold the bolts and turn the nuts too. Good luck

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, you need to get the carpet up for replacing body mounts.
How would I got about doing this without ruining the carpet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
If your carpet is decent it should come up fairly easy. If not it's gonna probably rip. I was replacing mine so it didn't matter to me. The rear ones require most of the work because of where they're located.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
The holes are where the bolts go thru. Have more pics if needed

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your carpet is decent it should come up fairly easy. If not it's gonna probably rip. I was replacing mine so it didn't matter to me. The rear ones require most of the work because of where they're located.

Ok, thanks. Is this picture a good representation? Without the lift block of course.

How would I reseat the carpet after pulling it up? Is there an adhesive I would need?

Just saw your last post, the pictures helped. Does this diagram show the mounts in right spots?

Last edited:

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Yes they do. That's why it's easier with 2 people. If there's adhesive it's on the padding not carpet. No adhesive needed to reinstall.

McWillies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok, thanks a lot. I was completely lost before.
Will I need to remove the seats or anything like that? Or will it just be pulling carpet?

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
You don't need to remove the seats if you don't want to. Lots of little screws for the panels in the back. That's why I just waited until I was redoing my interior. Made life simple to do it all at once. Did sound deading, carpet and painted all the panels.

Sent from my Alcatel9007T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals