• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 2.3 2wd to 5.0 swap is pissing me off, help with mount setup please

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok everything on this ranger is essentially done except exhaust and engine mount. so check it out. I am having a problem figuring out what clamshell mount I am supposed to use with the 5.0, I already have the rest of the mount complete and just sitting there waiting. I bought 1999 Explorer 5.0 mounts and they did not fit into the frame holes as the guide pin was on opposite side of where it should be. HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT!!

I have 17 days to have this truck done. I told my wife I would hand the keys to the truck on christmas morning. Its already his truck but has been patiently waiting to get this done, so i figured it would be his version of the "Daisy Model 1938 Red Ryder youth BB gun" (hopefully yall understand the reference)

grochala

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I used Fox Body Convertible Mustang Mounts on mine. Swap the Left and Right and it lines right up. You will need to drill out the original holes as the studs are slightly larger. Hope this helps.

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I just had Oreillys deliver those to me.. We will try them in the morning

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Best I know, the Fox body convertible mounts are for the prior gen Rangers, not the '98 and newer coil spring models.

For the "rubber" mounts, simply use the 3.0 or 4.0 mounts and drill the frame for the alignment pin -- if installed on the I4, remove the spacer under the left engine mount. Pretty sure the I4, 3.0 and 4.0 V6 mounts are the same.

No "off the shelf" options for the mounting plates that fit the engine to the engine mounts -- very possible to build your own.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I agree with Win, I used the 3.0 mounts, removed the spacer on one side, and drilled another hole in the frame for the guide pin. I used the 3.0 mounts with the same custom plates everyone is using on this site. They worked great!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Custom plates were available from "strada shop" on rps for $75 + shipping.

He had ~50 sets still available 2 years ago.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Custom plates were available from "strada shop" on rps for $75 + shipping.

He had ~50 sets still available 2 years ago.
Yep, that is where I got mine. Worth every penny.

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
anyone have pics of his mounts? Email address? I will buy a set right now, just in case these fox body convertible mounts dont do the job

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He can be reached at josephhighlen@yahoo.com. He no longer makes them but has turned the manufacturing over to another machine shop.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals