• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Used Can Opener on Ranger

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I cut the back of the cab out and the front of the bed/shell. I will get up some pics soon, easier than trying to describe what I did. I trimmed-up the openings to match each other so a good rubber acordian boot would fit and seal well. Now it needs an inner trim boot and more work to make the bed more comfortable and insulated.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I did the same thing in 2003 or so...I managed to keep the lower 4" or so of both sides of the wall and secured them together to help make it more stable and to keep the integrity of the cab. I also did not cut out the upper window arch so the cab would be stronger.

Pics would be nice...I don't think I have any left of mine but I did manage to seal the rain and exhaust out...think I used pool noodles initially...lol

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ruffcut

I used 1/8" X 4" steel plate to round out the corners, match the shell opening and cab opening to each other, and to provide structural riggiditity to the openings. I welded it to the sheet metal and bonded the shell plate to the fiberglass with construction adhesive.

trimmed and accordian seal installed

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks really clean...like a pro!

The extended cab has an extra 12" or so of room to stretch out or add storage if desired...I used a regular cab 6' box...

Not sure if you are aware of the body flex issues in these trucks...but it stopped me from trying too hard to fix the bed to the cab. Apparently there is typically quite a bit of flex or movement between the two sections when going over even minor uneven surfaces. Not that I was intending to off road in my 2 wheel drive 4 banger...but I kept it in mind.

Only other caveat to consider...the heaters in these trucks are not capable of keeping the entire area warm...I didn't really notice any problems until the temps dropped to -35 C a few days in a row...it was very cold and I kept looking at the temp gauge to see if was going negative on me...lol. I suppose I could have blocked part of the rad on those days but I was more concerned with just getting down the road...heat was optional.

Anyway...looking good!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks pretty good.
Another consideration would be occupant protection from flying articles in an accident. I was really lucky in an accident with a station wagon many years ago....I hit another vehicle while going about 30mph. Not too bad until you realized that the jackall kept traveling at 30 mph right out the front windshield. That windshield could have been the back of my head.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies!

I plan on making a snap-in or velcro curtain to keep the heat and cool in when I want.

I'll get more pics up when I complete the trim.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Very interesting idea. Looks great, a bit of work involved, but looks professional.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My to do list:
I am going to make an inner boot of carpet and padding to snap or velcro on.
I am going to get some plywood for the sides of the bed, and will carpet and insulate them.
I am likely to at least insulate the tailgate.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It has rained twice, hard, and no leaks!!!

However, The bed of the truck produces more base than my sub woofer. I can bang on the middle of the bed with my hand and get a rather loud, deep, base note. It makes that note every bump I hit! Even a crack in the road.

First thing I tried was insulation and carpet. That attenuated the noise a bit. The second thing was to put some rubber between the frame and bed. That also helped. The bed was mounted directly to the frame, now it has 1/4" of rubber there. I can stand it now, however I want to do better.

I am wondering what to do next? I think at this point I need to weld-in another cross brace in the center of the bed or use some peel and stick sound deadening material, maybe both?

I found that the roofing material works good but will stink you out of your rig in warm weather. I think I could slap it under the bed and not have that issue. I wouldn't use it inside.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
More likely the wheel wells are amplifying the sound and I'd suggest the peel and stick inside the box over them...you can put it on the outside but it presents a moisture trap if you are not careful...as well as being shredded by gravel roads unless you top it with a plastic liner...which I was going to do on my last Ranger but didn't finish that project.

The inner front fenders from a gen I are close to perfect but they do have a few holes that would need to be patched....or get a set of trailer wheel covers that you can slip up inside the well over the sound proofing...

I've actually walked through junk yards with an open mind a few times...just looking for things that would work for my situation and I always managed to find what I needed...

dsltech83

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also need to realize that the cab is mounted on rubber, bed mounted solid to frame. That is part of the noise issue.
Sweet build!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Sweet build.

Makes me miss my camper van. It's nice to be able to pull in somewhere and climb in the back to sleep without having to climb over seats, or exit the vehicle.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, I did insulate the frame from the bed.

I didn't think much of the wheel wells, and I have not done anything to them yet.

The lowest, biggest note I get, is I believe from the center of the bed does not have a support under it. I can bang on the back and front of the bed and not get as much noise. Maybe I need to smack the fender wells around a bit too, to see what noise I get there.

I researched it a bit more and most say that the peal and seal roofing material will not stay on verticle much less so under the vehicle when it gets warm.

Maybe a sheet of 1/2" plywood would help? Or I need to pony-up and buy some good stuff.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats a really cool thing you did.....i like it....but...

Wont that seriously comprimise the structrual integrity of the cab and box?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If Rusty is questioning the structural integrity... :scare:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals