• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats so bad about an auto transfer case?

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be puting a 89 body on a 88 frame, the 88 has a manual transfer the 89 has an auto. I like the free space on the floor and I'd rather swap the cases than cut a hole on my floor, but it seems everyone says the autos are junk. Why?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The more complicated that u make something , the more things that can go wrong.

The push button can fail, the shift motor can and will fail(probably when u need it most).
The wiring can go bad, and so on and so on.................

If u have a good workin auto t case, use it, but I'd hold on to the manual one JIC.

explorerhavok

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just to give you an idea out of the six RBV's I have owned 1 is all manual and that is the one I currently have. The other 5 had the electric shift transfer, of those 3 did not work and 1 quit while I had it, with all of them the issue was the shift motor. I would say the shift motor is the weakest link! Also you should not have to cut the floor, there should be a plate that can be taken off and with the plate for the manual shift.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic

michowski

Reaction score
Mines been good for like 5+ years now with auto. Dont use it a lot but everytime I have its been just fine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Auto is nice when it works, manual is nice because it always works.

I like my manual just because it's more fun to drive in the snow with the 4x4. The other nice thing about the manual cases is the available N setting in case you ever need to tow the truck.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have an 88, back in high school (about 11-12 years back) it always worked, never had a problem. as it started getting older, sometimes it would go in 4 wheel and sometimes not. my dad took off the shift motor and cleaned all the electrical connections one day, and then it worked for a few years with no problems. this past year, we got about 10 inches of snow and it would go in 4H, but not 4L. it was ok tho, cause i didnt really need the 4L for the snow.

that being said, i just bought a manual 1350 from another TRS member for $100 so i dont have to deal with it not working anymore. and one more thing, a shift motor for these cases is ~$100 depending on where you go (and it'll eventually go bad again too)

go with the manual

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
All in all the Auto transfer case and manual transfer case do the same thing but the manual has a stick on he floor and when you pull it it goes into 4x4. The auto you push the button or turn the knob then it sends a signal to the 4x4 computer then that senses if the parameters meet up for what you are asking it to do (Is the clutch in or in neutral, parking brake on, vehicle moving... ect) then it tells the t case to shift.

I like the manual t cases and actually just picked one up to install in my 99 cause they didn't come with anything but. I like reaching down and physically feeling that i put it in 4wd... Turning a stupid knob is so unsatisfying and half the time i can't tell if it went in or is still waiting...

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My ranger is 12 years old and never had any problems with the auto transfer case. If it chooses to act up...then it will get repaired.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My auto t-case works, but the whole back up to deactivate is what makes me want to put the 1350 my Explorer. Did the 84 B2 come with a 1350 and if so is it bolt in swap (minus shift linkage) with 1354 from my Explorer?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The "extra space" on the floor is more of an illuson than reality.

The electric shift system fails for more than the reason stated above, a steel lever MUST work..

As for cutting a hole in the floor? Ahhh... No.

there is a removeable floor plate that you get to unbolt.

AD

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My auto t-case works, but the whole back up to deactivate is what makes me want to put the 1350 my Explorer. Did the 84 B2 come with a 1350 and if so is it bolt in swap (minus shift linkage) with 1354 from my Explorer?
the backing up to deactivate is for the hubs, not the t-case.

You're welcome to put the manual 1350 into your explorer but you'll still have to back up to unlock the hubs.

(if you need a set of manual hubs and the conversion kit, I've got them listed in the classified section)

As for the swap - the front driveshaft on the 1350 is a slip yoke and the 1354 is a fixed yoke on the transfer case end, so you'd need the front driveshaft with the 1350. There may be other complications with the linkage depending on your transmission but I don't know, my BII came with an auto 1354 and I swapped in a manual 1354.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
auto never works, follow the K.I.S.S method (keep it simple stupid), that way it works when u need it

i have a 1350 t-case for sale if u need one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals