• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing capacity

oncewaslost1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Off the top of your head does anyone know the towing capacity of a 91 ranger with the 2.3 and 5 spd driveline combo? Not sure of gearing in the rear diff but its a base model no frill truck. Im talking no accessories but and alternator... Thanks for reading and any help

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
My 2003 has the new 2.3 with 5 speed. Regular cab, short bed. If I recall correctly, the capacity is 1500# trailer with the 4.10 rear end. I'm picking up a 14' travel trailer for it that weighs in at 2100#. Not worried about it, but I will probably put trailer brakes on it if it doesn't already have them.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
'01 and newer are the duratech engines, whole different animal.

As for the older "lima" 4 bangers I can tell you it'll start running pretty well out of steam at 4,000 lbs. 3,000 lbs is a decent upper limit unless you've got a lot of expereince towing things.

I've loaded mine several times with 5-6,000, for several hour long trips. Yes, I've needed 3rd gear on the highway, and 55mph is as fast as you'll ever go (and not by your choice).

3.73's , 235/75R15 tires, 2.3L, M5OD.

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Off the top of your head does anyone know the towing capacity of a 91 ranger with the 2.3 and 5 spd driveline combo? Not sure of gearing in the rear diff but its a base model no frill truck. Im talking no accessories but and alternator... Thanks for reading and any help
This should give you a ball park idea once you figure out what gearing you have. From the 1996 Ford Ranger Manual:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
four100d - Thanks. That was what I was talking about. The OP asked towing capacity. To me that means what is Ford stating. While I do run overloaded (according to the GVWR) I realize that it is capable of greater weights. I would never suggest anyone go over the given ratings IF they are not familiar with towing/hauling or with their truck. I know that my little Ranger scales at 3200#. Off the top of my head I don't know what the GVWR is. Even the biggest Rangers are only rated at 3700# towing, and my "big" Ranger is scaling at 4200#.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger is rated at 5560lbs, way above the 3700lbs you quote. honestly, anything above 2000lbs needs trailer brakes with my ranger with the larger breaks and such. With a 91 2.3 I wouldn't throw any more than 1500lbs behind it. Just because your truck can move the load doesn't mean your truck is capable of safely towing it. I would also limit the wind resistance your trailer creates.

Nothing bothers me more than seeing a small truck struggling to keep up with traffic towing too much weight with too little suspension/frame/brakes.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My Ranger is rated at 5560lbs, way above the 3700lbs you quote. honestly, anything above 2000lbs needs trailer brakes with my ranger with the larger breaks and such. With a 91 2.3 I wouldn't throw any more than 1500lbs behind it. Just because your truck can move the load doesn't mean your truck is capable of safely towing it.

Nothing bothers me more than seeing a small truck struggling to keep up with traffic towing too much weight with too little suspension/frame/brakes.
Nothing bothers me more than seeing somebody zooming in and out of traffic, flying by, carrying a huge trailer and thinks he's safe because he has a big truck.

They're called speed limits. Only highways have speed minimums, 45 to the last of my knowledge. Nothing wrong with driving slow and careful with a larger load. I don't care where you're driving from/to, it's not worth risking lives over. I'll just drive a little slower and leave my room like you're supposed to.

Ranger's all run predominantly the same frames, brakes, and wheel bases. 4 banger Rangers will stop and handle the same load as a 5.0 v8 swapped truck. It just will annoy impatient people getting moving, but I guess that goes along with your user name.

2,000lbs is nothing, I've had 1,200 just in the bed. Below, a 4 banger, stock. Kept up with traffic just fine, even on the highway 55mph, no reason to go any faster, just poke along behind a semi or in the right most lane. That J-10 went across the state, had the front clip on then, rangers bed loaded flat and more parts in the j-10's bed and cab.

Safety is not a specific weight, you can crash with no load at all. It's all in the adjustment of the nut behind the wheel.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I disagree. There have been many close calls cresting over a hill and slamming the brakes because some idiot barely made it over the hill doing 30mph in a 55. The 2.3 rangers have smaller brakes, they mostly have single leaf springs that allow sway, and they weigh almost 1000lbs less than a larger model V6 4x4.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying you should fly at 70mph. But you NEED to be able to keep up with traffic. Otherwise your truck is struggling too hard. In my opinion you NEED more truck in that case. And 2000lbs IS something. I use a trailer equipped with electric brakes if I need to tow more than that. The little rangers just don't have the stopping power for this much. My old man's 6.0L superduty with 6000lbs out handles and out brakes my ranger with 2000lbs on the back. I'd be more comfortable behind a large truck designed for heavy loads than a small truck designed to commute to and from the store.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sorry, I disagree. There have been many close calls cresting over a hill and slamming the brakes because some idiot barely made it over the hill doing 30mph in a 55. The 2.3 rangers have smaller brakes, they mostly have single leaf springs that allow sway, and they weigh almost 1000lbs less than a larger model V6 4x4.
Then you should have been paying attention. Plenty of things other than slow vehicles that can be in the road. Once again, patience grasshopper.

2.3L rangers have smaller rear brakes, most of the braking is done in front anyways. They also have much smaller tires.

I've never heard or seen a Ranger with a single rear leaf spring. Always been a multi-leaf pack.

However, I'll give you the weight thing. That does help.

Horray internet arguments! :icon_bounceblue:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 2.3L 5 speed single cab long bed had a single leaf. It was not metal. I believe it to be a composite material of some sort. From that experience I wouldn't tow any more than 1500 lbs. It was just too hard on all the drivetrain (I live in hilly area) and those springs were way to soft. Thats my biggest complaint. The 05 I have now has a multi-leaf spring pack with hellwig helper springs stays straight and stable. Anyway, its not arguments. Its opinions.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger is rated at 5560lbs, way above the 3700lbs you quote. honestly, anything above 2000lbs needs trailer brakes with my ranger with the larger breaks and such. Just because your truck can move the load doesn't mean your truck is capable of safely towing it.
I believe what you are quoting as a rated "5560 lbs" is the GVWR. You are correct in stating that yours is rated as such, but for those reading this the GCWR rating on the door is "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" this is computed by the weight of your truck ie; 4200 + 200 (you) + 125 (mom) + 160 (fuel) = 4685.. That means you have (5560 - 4685) = 875 lbs for cargo.

Your trailer is completely different. Part of the cargo weight above would be the weight of the trailer tongue. The trailer weight in the graph above is what your Ranger is rated for as a maximum. The GCWR is the "Gross Combined Weight Rating" which is the MAXIMUM combined weight that the truck, trailer and cargo weigh. I have not found a graph for that on the Rangers. Only the GVWR is imprinted on the door.

Last edited:

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
When towing whether on the interstate or highway I tow at the speed limit or 60mph, whichever is less. I also only tow in 4th gear or IF I'm in a tow with an auto, I lock out the overdrive. Keeps maintenance to a minimum.

Here's an example of an overload:
Front axle: 1740
Rear axle: 4420
Trailer: 6740
GCWR: 12900

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Here's what it looks like unloaded.

Front axle: 2380
Rear axle: 2380
Trailer: 2280
GCWR: 7040

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I believe what you are quoting as a rated "5560 lbs" is the GVWR. You are correct in stating that yours is rated as such, but for those reading this the GCWR rating on the door is "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating" this is computed by the weight of your truck ie; 4200 + 200 (you) + 125 (mom) + 160 (fuel) = 4685.. That means you have (5560 - 4685) = 875 lbs for cargo.

Your trailer is completely different. Part of the cargo weight above would be the weight of the trailer tongue. The trailer weight in the graph above is what your Ranger is rated for as a maximum. The GCWR is the "Gross Combined Weight Rating" which is the MAXIMUM combined weight that the truck, trailer and cargo weigh. I have not found a graph for that on the Rangers. Only the GVWR is imprinted on the door.
Per Ford my truck is rated to tow 5560lbs with weight distribution hitch. Not to exceed 600lbs tongue weight. GCWR is 9500lbs. Maximum frontal area of the trailer recommended to be under 50 sqare feet.

However, if I planned to tow a trailer over 5000lbs I'd get a bigger truck. That just seems like a lot of struggling for the Ranger. Ford seems to over rate their trucks though. The maximum trailer weight rating for the 5.4L F150 of last generation was way to generous, also.

jscott8692

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger single cab short bed 2.5 auto and it wheighs 3400 with me in it and about a full gas tank, and using a dollie i towed my 86 mustang lx that wheighs 2800 from Indianapolis, IN to Columbus, OH almost 200 miles avaraging 65-70 without a problem and getting 17 mpgs whil doing it, and i manually kicked it out of overdrive when i got to hills just to be safe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals