• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger Towing Capacity?

pelotudo

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to pick up a 98+ pickup to tow my soon to be garage queen.

Looking at a Ranger, possibly S10. Car weights 3175lbs, trailer I am not sure of yet. If possible I would like to get a full trailer, ~18' open; otherwise I'm going to have to dolly (which I would REALLY prefer not to do).

Car is going to be towed from FL to MD and back in July, afterward misc tracks in the southeast.

Would any of the 98+ Rangers be able to handle this? I would prefer extended car, 4x4 not important.

Last edited:

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For 1998 it looks like the 4.0L with 3.73 rear gears would be the best bet. That configuration yields 9,500 lbs GCWR (Gross Combined weight rating) with 5,600 lbs maximum trailer wieght. The 4.0 is also available with 3.27 gears, but those would not cut it. Look at the door sticker and there should be a spot that says AX or AXL or something like that with a code under it. A code "96" indicates 3.73 open differential, code "R6" indicates a limited slip 3.73, but code "91" indicates a 3.27 open diff, and would not be sufficiant.

most of this info can be found in the owners manuals here:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&menuIndex1=19

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll put on my kevlar and say that an S10 is a better bet. My brother had a 2003 Sonoma crewcab 4x4. It had a 4.3 and a 4l60E. It's a full-size drive train in a compact pickup. I like the Ford 4.0 (pushrod one) a lot, but the 4.3 is better. I also like the 4L60# auto better than any Ranger tranny. I had a 2500 Chevy diesel that came with a 4L60--and that's a truck with a 7,200# GVWR. The Chevy is kind of junky as far as the rest of the truck goes, but the part that matters for towing is better.

But the Ford is a better truck. I've had a number of Rangers and they are all well built--good fit of parts. In comparison, the Sonoma felt like I was sitting in something only about 70% complete. It was a 2 or 3 year-old truck and things didn't work. And I wasn't suprised. But towing what you are towing, I would rather trust it. It's a great drivetrain.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals