• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Now some of the '96 Exploder. In its day a respectable ride, now just a parts beater:

Toldja the interior was green. Colour me not impressed:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
But this should make the skinned knuckles, sweat and shame worthwhile:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Love it. Keep it up. So is this bad boy gonna be a prerunner or a badass ricer beater?

Steiger Man

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nice. Keep it up. You're right there isn't much there really, is there.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
about the trans problem, it's slipping and needs rebuilt.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
RollinWOT: Its gonna be a trail crawler... someday. :D

Steiger Man: I actually stood back for a minute and wondered where the rest of it was. No wonder it felt anemic.

Rose2300: Funny. I'm yanking a good running 2.9 and A4LD cause the trans had issues (no OD) and really don't want to still need to replace a bad tranny after bolting another one in.
I'm not saying your wrong, but I'd prefer it if you were. :rolleyes:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not much progress today. Motor mount nuts off. Some brackets and stuff. Tied stuff out of the way. Yanked the top of the intake manifold. Hope to have the 2.9 out tomorrow sometime if things go right.
More tools I need: Ford's fuel line tool. Never thought of it until I figured out what those goofy lines under everything else were.

I figure I'll spend some time cleaning the Bronco's engine compartment before tearing into the Exploder.

By the way, I'm going to apologize in advance for the many times I'm going to change my mind or do things out of logical order. I'm going to try some odd things on this truck just because I can and rules sometimes suck. :shok:
No photos today, they'd pretty much look like yesterdays.

Edit. Supposed to rain tomorrow. I hate wrenching in the rain so if it does, I'm postponing until its dry out. I might chase parts instead.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Just ended up getting more tools yesterday. Its supposed to rain off n on for the next few weeks here so I'm going to have to improvise on that. Gotta keep going on this cause the gf probably didn't want two rides disassembled in her yard. lol

I'm a little choked that the '93 Exploder I really wanted to use for parts finally returned my emails nine days and another truck later. It was red with a grey vinyl (leather?) interior and has the wiring harness I need but can't find.... :annoyed:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm looking for opinions from you guys.

I can probably get the red '93 Exploder for $450. I paid $500 for the '96 and it needs tranny work and is missing one "deer hoof" wheel but otherwise its decent. The '93 has higher mileage and is rusty but runs well and has more of what I need to make this swap.
Should I sell the '96 to get the '93 or am I going the wrong direction here?

:icon_confused:

jesse93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
get the 93 and build it..why have 3 trucks and swap this part to that truck..just build one, thats what i would do

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
what is with all the hate for the red interior , i love red interiors , the new cab i am getting for my Diesel is black with red interior , my favorite combination

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Not hating.
In some vehicles, a red interior is awesome. Had a '69 Firechicken with a red interior that was cool. When I picked up the Bronco II I didn't mind the red cloth interior but after a while it felt like sitting in hells waiting room. Even after cleaning it as best I could, its still wore out. A hard colour to match too.
I'm leaning towards grey for the guts of this thing. But with my luck and shopping prowess it'll be all different colours.

I'm thinking about selling the 96 'sploder and putting the $$ into the Bronco II. I think the 93 'sploder is a far better swap candidate. Just my $0.02 .

What killed it for me was that the computer in the Exploder is in the firewall. If I can't find the proper wiring harness I'm going to have to splice this one together and I don't want to put a computer under the hood (cowl?) of my B II.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey. I finally found a wiring harness for the 4.0 liter engine in a JY in a '94 Exploder. He said $150, I said 'no thanks.' This is a part they hack out to pull the engine. Still looking but not a great start. :(

The gf's been around a lot lately and I'd rather not explain why I'm pulling a running engine from an older truck in favor of the one in the newer nicer truck. With any luck, I won't have to. Its her place and I know she doesn't want two torn down vehicles in it so I'm treading lightly around her. Sorry for the delay on this build. I meant to be farther along by now but my life is much simpler by not having her mad at me. :rolleyes:

I did find a used lift on Craigslist but I'm going to wait a bit. I already bought replacement springs (Moog) for an STX Ranger which should be about 2 1/2 -3" of lift for the front, though I might have to use washers to get 3" total. That plus the Exploder rear leafs (1 1/2 to 2") plus longer shackles or short blocks should get a little extra ground clearance. Down the road when my finances recover from the engine swap, I'll put more thought into that.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Okay. Finally a little more progress! I strung up a tarp to keep the rain off me so I could get a bit further on this teardown.

Then, of course, get sidetracked a few hours (damn life...)
lol
But got a few more hours into it today. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
So I ripped the hood off and about everything else I could find under there that impedes progress. Fuel lines, wiring, leftover AC crap (it was dead and I'm swapping in the AC from the '96 Splodey.) Still trying to not cut stuff up.

Fuel lines laid out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals