• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle questions

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
so if you read any of my threads i have recently rebuilt the top end of my 2.9 on my b2....

when i come to stop light, sign, dead end.... any time i come to a stop lol the rpms dip down to about 500 and it acts like it wants to cut off after a little hesitation it goes back up and stays around 900-1000... is this normal or is my timing a little off or what do i need to check?
keep in mind im no mechanic more of a do it yourselfer and if you start talking about sensors and all that will have to explain where they are and how to check them and what not... thanks in advance

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
well your idle should be around 600-800. so 1000 is too high to begine with. I wish i could help more, but i dont know the 2.9 motors for sensors and what not. If it has it, an idle air control valve (top of the intake, 2 bolts and a plug) will need cleaning.

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
i too am not oriented with that engine but pretty sure you timing wouldnt cause it to idle that irratically,maybe a vacuum leak possibly,get a can of brake parts cleaner and spray around your intake and hoses with the engine running,if your engine speed changes when sprayed in a paticular part etc. you have a leak there.good luck,hope this helps

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9L runs fine with a vacuum leak, just with a fast idle depending on the size of the leak. A dirty IAC valve can cause the hunting idle, but also a bad MAP sensor does cause at least a similar trouble. I don't know how idle would be affected by a bad ACT sensor by the IAC valve. I once drove to work & back twice with the TPS unplugged. It didn't idle well, but I don't recall the details other than it runs fairly well that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals