• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Issues?

smithae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
4"
Not an off roader myself, but I thought maybe you guys could help troubleshoot this as you know Rangers better than anyone.

I've been having trouble with my Ranger for about a month. It's a 1992 3.0 V6, 2WD, I purchased it in Feb of 2002. The tranny was rebuilt two years ago and a shift kit was put in it then, this is the only major repair done since I've had it. The engine is the original, about 93K on it. This is a daily driver to and from work seven days a week. Work is less than a mile away and anywhere else I go is within a ten mile radius in the city. This truck does no serious driving (which I've been told may have caused this).

In the beginning it was rougher I guess would describe it. It sounded and felt different at start up and while driving. Not really easy to put into words, I just knew something wasn't right. When starting up it sounded like it was working harder, more strained than usual, when driving it seemed sluggish, there was less pick up. When going through parking lots for instance after I went over a speed bump I actually had to apply gas as it wouldn't roll like it used to, the bump would suck the momentum completely out of the truck it seemed. In fact if the gas peddle wasn't pressed it would roll to a stop much faster than it used to in all situations.

Sometimes it'll start and be fine, sometimes it'll start then just shut off, sometimes it'll start then sputter a few times then shut off or sputter a bit then start, sometimes it'll surge a few times then start or surge a few times then not start. Usually if it doesn't start first try it'll start after a max of five tries (only twice has it refused to start at all, the second time being now, the first I'll describe below). No matter what though when it does start there is a strong smell of gas for the first 30 seconds or so even if there is no initial failed start. It's been fun driving as well, twice it's shut off while driving, the first time it took four tries to start back up, the second time it started back up immediately. Check engine light flickers and such at start up and when it was shutting off while driving as it should. I have a code reader, gets nothing new, shows two previous codes for the MAS.

The first time it refused to start at all I had the idle air control valve replaced and that seemed to make it work again. It still felt different, the lack of pick up and rougher sounding start up, but it ran with no other issues and started first try every time. That lasted about two weeks. Then it started doing the usual again.

A friend of the family who works at Ford had me drop it at a dealer and had his buddy check it out. It actually stalled on them, but then started right up again. After everything they found nothing wrong. They checked for codes, checked fuel pressure, checked the MAS, etc. had no clue why it was doing what it's doing. I took it home, the friend told me to try some fuel system cleaner. I got some Gumout total system cleaner and threw it in with a new tank of gas, drove it 25 miles that night to shoot it through, it's been a week and 70 miles since that, it seems to have done nothing. Now it's refusing to start at all again. It's cranking, no starting.

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry this was so long, was trying to give as many details as possible. I'm about to just start replacing parts one by one starting with the mass airflow sensor so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Smith

bigcountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if its gettin fuel and no startin it sounds like iginition problems your coil if it has one might have gone out im not to sure if you have one or not. what i would do is change all my plugs and wires and check the coil if it has one if not then change cap and rotor and see if that doesnt help you out at all

smithae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
4"
if its gettin fuel and no startin it sounds like iginition problems your coil if it has one might have gone out im not to sure if you have one or not. what i would do is change all my plugs and wires and check the coil if it has one if not then change cap and rotor and see if that doesnt help you out at all
I actually left that part out. Back when the roughness started, before the stalls and such did, I replaced my distributor cap, plugs and wires, all new. I'll try the ignition coil and rotor before I do the mass airflow sensor, cheaper, heh. Thanks man, I didn't even think of the coil.

smithae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
4"
Meh, it started up second try before I replaced anything. Was getting a spark, but went ahead and did the ignition coil anyway since I had it (rotor had already been done). It still sounds rough and like it's struggling to start, still sluggish when driving, less pickup, etc. It'll start and drive for me for a few days and then act up again. Thanks though man, more parts off the list, eventually I'll hit the right one(s).

Anyone else have an idea?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals