• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 ranger 4.0 sometimes no start

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When it runs it feels fine, doesn't lose power or die while driving. Sometimes after driving I try to start it and it cranks but no start, after 15-30 minutes it'll start. I can't hear the fuel pump during the no start but I assumed that if the fuel pump is bad that it would lose power while driving. It doesn't do it all the time, it might be a few days to a week before it does it again. I have replaced the ignition switch under the dash, the fuel pump relay and the crank position sensor. No check engine light and no codes

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Stop throwing parts at it . Buy a Volt meter and read the directions that came with it.

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a volt meter, my question is whether or not the fuel pump can be bad even though it doesn't lose power or die while driving. The reason why I haven't checked the voltage at the pump is because I'm in a wheelchair and shit like that isn't easy. If I throw parts at it that's my problem

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would start with running a fuel pressure test. Most bigger auto parts stores will "rent" a tester to you. I had a no hot start on my 2000 4.0 that slowly progressed to a random no cold start. Truck ran great once it was running. Fuel pressure test showed like 25 psi instead of 65+. A little research showed the computer can adjust for as little as something like 15 psi, but it does the adjustment while running, so it's very hard to start.

Also worth tracing electrical, a faulty ground or relay can cause all sorts of issues. Are there any check engine lights? How many miles are on it?

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I had a very occasional issue that matched your symptoms with my '94 2.3 Ranger. Never a moments trouble while it was running, but twice it would fail to start when it had been warmed all the way up then shut down for 30-60 minutes. In both cases I was unable to hear the fuel pump priming pulse. Ultimately I sold the truck before it acted up often enough for me to do any troubleshooting, but my suspicion was an issue with the fuel pump as well. Swapping the fuel pump relay did not help.

Metalcrack

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a way to use Forscan? I had a similar situation and the TPS would sometimes throw a full throttle signal, telling the computer that it was flooded.

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put a new pump in it, has a little more power as well. hopefully the pump will be reliable, I've never used precision brand before

brandan78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wife's truck (01 4.0) was doing this about a year ago. Did plugs, wires and coil but also cleaned the throttle plate. There was quite a bit of carbon on the back of the throttle plate. Hasn't done it since. Not sure which solved it. Hope this helps

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals