• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Paranoid Radiator Question

harriw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

Paranoid rookie question - I've got the radiator drained while changing a thermostat ('94 ext cab. 4x4, 5spd behind 4.0 w/ AC), and it's looking like it's going to be a multiple day project.

Any concern over leaving the radiator drained for a few days? It's not gonna start rusting over in there while it's empty for just a few days, right (I suppose I could fill it with distilled water while I'm not working on it, but that's just a pain)? How should I leave it while I'm not there working on it? Draincock and cap both closed, or leave one or the other open?

Thanks a lot guys.

-Bill

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It won't make much difference, as long as you don't leave any liquid in it that will freeze, if it's being left outside.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
Filling it with water only WILL blow freeze plugs in the motor if it drops below freezing for any significant period of time. Motors sit on engine stands for YEARS with no coolant in them. I can not come up with a single concern with leaving it empty.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
It's fine empty.

harriw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Excellent - thanks guys.

-Bill

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Never use pure distilled water in a antifreeze system. ever. Good for batteries. bad for Engines => Heck tap water is better then distilled.

And you shouldn't use pure tap water either => Distilled water is more reactive then regular water since its had most of anything its allready reacted with it Removed in the distillation process. which makes it so it will start eating things it comes into contact with.

Like engines. Not quickly but definitely. The only thing you should put into your coolant system is coolant or premixed coolant.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals