• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need to replace my tires... maybe wheels

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey. New ranger owner, new 4x4 owner.

Bought a 4" lifted '06 ranger with 305/60-18's that are dry rotted and almost bald. I need to put new tires on the truck and it's getting complicated. I'm considering 275/65-18's instead. I'm looking at the Cooper Discovery ST Maxx.

This is what I want to do with the truck:

#1 Daily driver
#2 Drive up into the mountains on harsh logging roads, rutted and semi-washed out roads, dirt trails, etc.
#3 Drive through snow (live in country, un-plowed roads) and cross mountain passes

I feel like the 275 will be better in all my needed conditions than 305... True?

The challenges are - Chrome coming off inside of wheel (pretty bad), existing tires 3/8" away from upper A-arm, polishes sway bar and torsion bars on full turn, has what looks like 3/8" spacers and the can't service due to that, Tire shop tells me I'm looking at new wheels next tire change due to the peeling and not seating correctly... and I want to be able to run snow cables If I need to due to places I go in winter.

Option #1 Buy new wheels with corrected offset
Option #2 Buy expensive adapters (about half cost of wheels)

If I buy new wheels should I get 18" or 17"? I like the 32's but my tire guy tells me 18"s are not common...

I'd appreciate opinions. Money is tight, however I'm only a couple hundred bucks away from a new set of wheels with the add on of adapters.

Thank You!

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
15x8 with 32 or 33s will look awesome and give you more side wall flex for those rough roads, 18s look like ricer tires because there is no side wall height and will tear up your new wheels when transversing pot holes and rough terrain. Just my honest opinion, no offense meant. You want your tires to balloon out past your wheels also , keeps the tire from dismounting when airing down for rougher than normal conditions. ..

Last edited:

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
Look into 235/85-16's in "D" load rating. There thin and tall...REALLY GOOD for deep snow and mud driving and still good for a DD

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm interesting though... didn't think about damaging new wheels.

It's challenging for me because I come from a sports car back ground and like the shorter side wall for looks and road performance... AND I completely get what you're saying. It's beginning to sink in that the smaller rims/taller sidewall would be better for off-road use.

I like the stiff sidewall thought. The ST Maxx I'm looking at are suppose to be stiff... I should look at their rating.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Hmm interesting though... didn't think about damaging new wheels.

It's challenging for me because I come from a sports car back ground and like the shorter side wall for looks and road performance... AND I completely get what you're saying. It's beginning to sink in that the smaller rims/taller sidewall would be better for off-road use.

I like the stiff sidewall thought. The ST Maxx I'm looking at are suppose to be stiff... I should look at their rating.

Thanks for the thoughts.
You can get a stiffer side wall in 32/33/15 inch, just do a lot of research of the different tire manufacturers . Look around and talk to a lot people and don't jump to quickly because it's a big investment and you'll have to live with your choice for quite a while . Welcome to TRS, lots of good people here.!¡!!!!

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That is exactly what is going through my mind. A decision that I'm going to live with for awhile. I'm trying to resist jumping in for that very reason... And I'm excited.

Looking forward to learning, sharing and having a good time here!

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
You want stiffer go to "E" rated tires, probably gunna have to only run 45psi to get a decent ride though

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
with an '06 4x4 you should have 12" front rotors. most 15" wheels in standard offset will not fit over those brakes. you will need to verify fitment, needs about 3-1/2" backspace.
any 16" or larger will fit.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
with an '06 4x4 you should have 12" front rotors. most 15" wheels in standard offset will not fit over those brakes. you will need to verify fitment, needs about 3-1/2" backspace.
any 16" or larger will fit.
I have 12" rotors and I run 15x8 with a 4"back space with 32s and no lift and I have no rubbing. The OP has a lift so he could easily go 33s with no problem. Just saying, I'm not looking for a pissing contest here,this is what I know because I'm running this setup under 2 trucks.

Timbershave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I decided I'm going to buy new wheels. Regarding offset/back space:

Tires: I'm planning to put 275's on them.
Wheels: I'm planning to use 8-8.5" width.

I want to be able to put snow cables on them, In the rare chance I need to.

Without pushing the wheel past my fender too much (1"), does anyone know what offset/backspace I'd need?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have 12" rotors and I run 15x8 with a 4"back space with 32s and no lift and I have no rubbing. The OP has a lift so he could easily go 33s with no problem. Just saying, I'm not looking for a pissing contest here,this is what I know because I'm running this setup under 2 trucks.
you're right on track with fitment. I'm only warning him of the caliper issues.
its all about the shape of the inner part of the wheel. last year I picked up some 15x8 with steel Cragars from Jegs with 4-3/4 backspace and +6 offset. those crashed into the calipers. swapped them for the same wheel, but 4" bs with -13 offset and they work great on my 12" brakes. Cragar used the same barrel for both wheels, but when they pushed the center section in (from the back) to get the bigger 4-3/4 bs they didn't enlarge the barrel there. so the caliper hit the barrel. had they also pushed the step-down in to match the center either wheel would have fit. for other brands it depends on the shape of the barrel and where it steps down.

he's going with 18" wheels, so it doesn't matter much now.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
you're right on track with fitment. I'm only warning him of the caliper issues.
its all about the shape of the inner part of the wheel. last year I picked up some 15x8 with steel Cragars from Jegs with 4-3/4 backspace and +6 offset. those crashed into the calipers. swapped them for the same wheel, but 4" bs with -13 offset and they work great on my 12" brakes. Cragar used the same barrel for both wheels, but when they pushed the center section in (from the back) to get the bigger 4-3/4 bs they didn't enlarge the barrel there. so the caliper hit the barrel. had they also pushed the step-down in to match the center either wheel would have fit. for other brands it depends on the shape of the barrel and where it steps down.

he's going with 18" wheels, so it doesn't matter much now.
Yes , that's why I suggested a 4inch bs . I like the look of 15s with lots of sidewall .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals