• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overheating need help!!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
well when i bought my rig, the temp guage didnt work, and i found out it was the water temp sensor, so i replaced it yesterday. when i changed it i forgot to crack the radiator cap, so when i loosened it up i could hear it suck air in. well i bled the system like it says in my ford tech manual(u know the good one), and it seems to have all the air out, but its overheating pretty bad. right now i have straight water in it, the water isnt boiling over or anything and it runs fine. the t-stat is opening up like it is supposed to, but it runs at the N in normal at the top of the guage, and alot of times it creeps up passed the n, when i shut it off and restart after a minuted it goes all the way into the hot, then slowly goes back down. do i need to install a colder tstat in it or do i have bigger problems? so far ive driven it about 15-20 miles in the city so all of the air should be out. no leaks no funny noises, belt is tight, and i have an aluminum explorer 4.0 radiator, so it shouldnt be running that hot

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would get an aftermarket gauge of some sort to verify that it's actually overheating. Really hard to tell with those stock gauges.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
First: Psychopete is right, do that.

Second: Plain water is retarded, water boils at 212 degrees! Ethylene Glycol antifreeze boils at 387 degrees... your thermostat opens at 195, do the math!

Third: turning the engine off will NOT cool it down, if it's overheated already and you have no coolant circulation the coolant will just sit there at whatever temperature it's at. So if you got your coolant temp up to say 250 degrees and shut it off, that 250 degree water is just going to keep the engine temp where it's at!

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would get an aftermarket gauge of some sort to verify that it's actually overheating. Really hard to tell with those stock gauges.
+1 on an aftermarket gauge. They are cheap and easy to install.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
well im off to buy some antifreeze and see how that does me, i usually dont run straight water but after trying to purge the system thats all i had

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
stock gauges suck.
I went to a manual and could really tell the temp. it was still runing hot. i put in a 2" radiator and the temp hasnt gotten over 185 even in 105 degree weather.
im :yahoo:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
flushed the system and put in antifreeze 50/50 mix, still runnign hot, at freeway speeds its running hotter then at idle

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
you might consider throwing in an explorer radiator. I did in my 85 and haven't had a problem with it running hot ever since.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
still runnign hot
Break one of those hundreds and get a temp gauge. :D Also check that the front of the a/c condenser or radiator is not stopped up with crap limiting air flow.

Is the radiator new or used? I'd be tempted to feel for cold spots when it's hot enough to be hot, but not burn your hand. But a temp gauge will tell you what the actual temp is, may not even be overheating, but something to be careful about with a 2.9L tho.

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: am i missing something? N on normal is not hot. Its actually on the cold side.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
my guage starts with n at the top for the hot side, and l at the bottom for cold side...already have explorer radiator

well i finally got it fixed, drained water out, filled with 50/50 mix, drove about 5 miles with the cap on the first notch, and all the air come out, it is now running at the o in normal. also when i got it to operating temp, i stuck a fry grease thermometer in the radiator, and it never got higher then 150, so i guess the guage is a little off as well. thanks guys

now im off to buy a good temp guage lol, is mechanical better then electrical? if i got electric guage could i just tap into my stock sender so i can at least have a backup if one goes out on me?

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
get a mechanical gauge

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And don't tap your stock sensor. I know it's an 85, but the computer still uses some of that info for things. Terrible, horrible, computerized things. A PO did that to my dad's truck when the stock gauge died. Now, no matter what I do, replace sensor, fix wires, etc I cannot get the ECT signal missing code fixed, and the truck only ever gets 10 MPG (granted its a 250 with a 351 and it gets 10 MPG empty or with a car on a flat bed hooked to it, but it's still running rich).

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The 1 wire sender has zero to do with the computer it is for the guage only. The two wire sensor is for the computer the ECT code is either the sensor, wires or computer. If the sensor ohms out good and the wires are good it is the computer try a known good computer and see if it still gives you the same code then it is the coolant temp t-stat or radiator.

marcuspur

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
deff get a mecanical gauge to make sure its right in the motor ive had stock gauges say it was hot when it wasnt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals