• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 timing waaaay off, wtf???

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Well my rig has been a little down on power here lately and has been using the shit out of some gas(gettin about 12mpg mixed, with a really light foot), so i went to a buddys and was going to check the timing. Well we got the light on and we made a mark on the crank pully, and when we put the light on it, our mark was about 2" lower then the timing marks start. when we turned the disty clockwise it started running like ass. counter clockwise all the way it was the same as it was when we started. we couldnt even get the timing to where it was even close to the timing marks. My buddy/mechanic said my timing could have jumped and i need a new timing chain. im wondering if a previous owner removed the disty and put it back in wrong. any ideas on what i should do?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
you did pull the vac advance, right?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
dont hav vac advance, but i did disconnect the spout wire

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Close enough.

Well, if you suspect that strongly that the dis is a tooth off you can try to re-time it from scratch. It is really odd for a timing chain to jump a tooth, but you can also check that if you pull the front cover, but that's a good bit of work.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
What are the chances that your pointer down is bent out of place? I've seen them bent before.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You dont have a chain it is gear driven and probably not the problem. Are you using the pointer on the timing mark or the round thing the pointer is what you want to use. Pull #1 plug and put your finger over the hole and crank it by hand with the crank bolt until you feel compression then line up the pointer with top dead center also stick a long screwdriver in the plug hole to see if the piston is all the way up. It could be the damper worn out and not in proper position. to check for tdc move the crank back and fourth with the screwdriver touching the piston and see if it is all the way up.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
using the pointer on the timing mark, i couldnt get it anywhere close to where it can ready the timing. he made a mark on the crank pully and used that with the light to reference with the pointer on the marks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Once you get it timed correct leave the light on it spout connected and have your buddy tap on the block next to the knock sensor its right in front of the starter motor but dont hit the sensor and watch the timing mark the timing should retard with the quick tapping with a vice grip or small hammer. If not it could be the sensor or wires to it. If that checks out pull the codes always do the cheap stuff first although the only cheap knock sensor is out of the bone yard.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Find top dead center on the compression stroke and make sure the piston is all the way up. that should line up with the big groove on the damper if not you have two choices get a new crank pully or use that point as tdc and reference 10 degrees from there

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh while you have it on tdc pull the dizzy cap and see if the rotor is pointing at about 11 oclock or #1 plug wire.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
ok i got it at tdc, and pulled the cap and heres what i got

thru the little view bubble its showing around 10*

heres what my rotor looks like at tdc

is it pretty much spot on or is the rotor in the wrong place, looks more like 10 oclock to me

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Looking at it closer if you use the pointer the rotor will be closer to 11 oclock right now the way you have it your probably about 70 dbtdc or better

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
On the wide notch is that a TC I am pretty sure that is TDC clean the damper pully goo and you will see the marks on mine it has a 12 you want it one mark back from there where you have it in the pic your closer to 30.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
so what do i need to do to fix it? does the disty have to come back out and set right? where can i get a new crank pulley?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals