• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 SCT Tune options

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone have any recommendations for a 5.0 Ranger tune with an SCT X3?

Fred at Rogue is supposed to be doing it, but we got started and he disappeared on me. over a month ago. Been trying to get it tuned properly since I got my truck done, and I have had no luck.

Need it done RIGHT, tired of the shitty idle, surging on deceleration, and underwhelming power production. Wish Fred would get back to me to get this done, but I am open to other options at this point.

Thanks!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Anyone have any recommendations for a 5.0 Ranger tune with an SCT X3?

Fred at Rogue is supposed to be doing it, but we got started and he disappeared on me. over a month ago. Been trying to get it tuned properly since I got my truck done, and I have had no luck.

Need it done RIGHT, tired of the shitty idle, surging on deceleration, and underwhelming power production. Wish Fred would get back to me to get this done, but I am open to other options at this point.

Thanks!
Call Greg at Speedy Dyno in Owensboro KY. He did my 99/01 5.0 Ranger/Explorer combo and I am very happy with the finished product. You may have to hunt around on you tube for his phone number. He charged me around $90.00-$120.00 for (5) tunes. Pretty much had it dialed in on the first one but managed to clean it up even more on the next three. I now have 86,000 miles since he finished the tune. Lots of power and 23 MPG, no idling issues, no codes, no stalling.

Blacksheep Josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Where are you located? I'm in the middle of a 5.0 swap myself and I found someone that works in the Atlanta area that's pretty sure he can do it.

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
I live in Toledo.

Ill look around for Gregs contact info.

Thanks!

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I live in Toledo.

Ill look around for Gregs contact info.

Thanks!
I had a hard time finding it as he doesn't have much of a online footprint. There are a few you tube videos that have a banner on the wall of his shop that displays his phone number.

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
looks like his shop is permanently closed :(

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
looks like his shop is permanently closed :(
Sorry to hear that. He did a good job on mine. I would keep looking around on here. Maybe ask rwrenzing or Rangersvt who they may know of. If you find someone that can work off of my tune as a starting point using your ECM serial numbers let me know and I can email a copy to you. It is set up for a SCT X4 tuner and a 01 Explorer calibrated ECM. Mild 306 build, manual trans, 24 lb injectors, 114 LSA cam, ported heads, ported upper and lower, 3:55 gears, etc.

Jeff

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
sad news! I was hoping to use the same guy / service in future as well! I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread for a good alternative :icon_thumby:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
sad news! I was hoping to use the same guy / service in future as well! I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread for a good alternative :icon_thumby:
No worries, there are plenty of tuners out there that can help. Rangersvt on here does some tuning but may not be able to convert the file format into something that can be handled through email. He offered to do a custom tune for mine but at the time was having a bit of an issue with email.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just a question, have you contacted SCT and asked if there are any local certified tuning shops within reasonable driving distance to where you live?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You don't even have to contact them. You can answer your own question here: https://www.sctflash.com/where-to-buy
Well there you go.

I had never looked at the SCT site map because the local dyno tuning shop that has worked on tuning my 2J build over the years is also an SCT dealer/tuner, so when it came to decide what to do for the Ranger it was a no brainer to use them again.

The OP should defiantly take a look at the site map then, as I would always recommend have a local tuner work with the vehicle in person over email tunes. Although I understand not everyone has the benifit of being close enough to a dealer/tuner and must find other options.

Nightbiker07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic
Well there you go.

I had never looked at the SCT site map because the local dyno tuning shop that has worked on tuning my 2J build over the years is also an SCT dealer/tuner, so when it came to decide what to do for the Ranger it was a no brainer to use them again.

The OP should defiantly take a look at the site map then, as I would always recommend have a local tuner work with the vehicle in person over email tunes. Although I understand not everyone has the benifit of being close enough to a dealer/tuner and must find other options.
Theres very few within an hour and a half drive. I emailed them all to see if they tune the explorer 5.0 PCM

Conor Knoxx

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
seems like a good idea, but as far as I could tell, the page only lets you search a max of 50 miles from "your location" - which returns a big nothing for me... you'd think they'd just list all their authorized dealers and let you pick..

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems like a good idea, but as far as I could tell, the page only lets you search a max of 50 miles from "your location" - which returns a big nothing for me... you'd think they'd just list all their authorized dealers and let you pick..

Then change the ZIP to the closest large city to your location and see what's around. Once you know where they are, you can contact them and see if they'd be willing to help, maybe even through email tunes so you don't have to make a bunch of trips back and forth.

Also, concerning Speedy Dyno, I've spoken with a couple of people close to Greg@ Speedy, and they both said that the business is still going strong. They've recently joined up with a local Ford dealer, and I think they moved locations, but it sounds like they're still around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals