• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Importance of WOT A/C cutout

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does this exist to prevent damage or to free up extra hp when WOT is needed?

AKA I have no ECU or TPS so if it isn't for the safety of the A/C system I was just going to bypass it. I would think the high pressure switch would safeguard the system... I think I can either hit the button on the dash or muscle through it if I need more power.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is just to give full power to the driver, i.e. passing.
No, the higher RPMs won't hurt compressor.

But..........it is also to prevent overheating, WOT is normally used when engine is under load, like climbing a grade or pulling a load, the extra load of AC during this time will cause extra heat.
If you are running a carb then you won't have the extra cooling from engine running richer, ECUs add extra fuel with EFI at WOT, ignore O2s, this aids in cooling cylinders, carbs don't have that option.
But as long as you know it can happen you can turn AC off manually.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been thinking... I don't think I have ever made the A/C kick off of anything before.

I tow far more with my F-150 than I ever will with my Ranger... never kicked off the A/C with WOT. I have never gone to WOT...

New brain fart I just had, I could wire up so if the engine starts to overheat I could have it kick off the A/C using a relay in lieu of the "WOT relay"... :icon_idea:

Thinking about if I leave it idle and it starts to get warm or something...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have the wiring diagram of the A/C harness for a first gen?

I find the wire from the ECU to the WOT relay but nothing that details what the other wires are or even which one is the one that goes to the ECU. I suspect the green one goes to the switch on the dash but beyond that I don't have anything to go by.

I know where the compressor and low pressure switch plug in though. Mainly with the two connectors at the left (with the cut pigtails)

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
FWIW, mine cuts back in after about 5 seconds or so, even if I am still at WOT (that eliminates the overheating theory). So I'm not really sure what it's purpose is (I seem to recall my manual did say something about it being to free up power, but then why would it kick back in?). Both my BII and Ranger do it the same, so I don't think there is something "wrong" with it. :dunno:

I am looking at the diagrams for mine, and I see what is indicated as a purple wire (circuit #462) that goes from one side of the WOT relay coil to the ECU (pin #54) for controlling the relay. The other side of the relay coil goes to the switched power feed from the EEC power relay (red, #361).

The contact side of the WOT relay cuts into the power feed to the A/C clutch coil: Power comes from the dash on/off switch (lgt green/purple wire #348) to the LP cycling switch, after the cycling switch the wire is tan/yellow (#198) and goes to the contact of the WOT relay, then from the other WOT relay contact the wire is black/yellow (#347) and goes to the clutch coil (other side of clutch coil goes to ground, black #57).
The tan/yellow circuit (#198) also is connected to ECU (pin #10) to indicate to it the A/C has been switched on.

This is for both my '90 & '94, so I can't say whether that matches up with what you're working on... (looks like ECU pins #10 & 54 have different color wires on the diagram you posted than what I mentioned)

Hope that helps a little...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is out of a 86-88 BII.

Thanks, I never thought about the computer getting a signal the thing is on, that might come in handy for a idle solenoid to kick the idle up when the A/C is on.

next657

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Transmission
Automatic
Excellent post. Thank you very much!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals