• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Ford Ranger swap exhaust/O2 sensor questions

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
I have a 1998 ford ranger reg cab 4x4 which was previously a 3.0 V6 with a manual tranny and now it has a 5.0 out of a 1997 ford explorer with an m5odr2 out of a 1999-2003 f150 and a bw4406 tcase. Anyway my question is if my ecu can support 4 o2 sensors? I bought aftermarket downpipes which have cats in them with 2 bungs on each for o2 sensors before and after each cat. I have a transmission harness from a 1998 explorer but I will have to repin it to make it work for my reverse lights and o2 sensors and then just just eliminate the wires for the dtr and trans functions. (I bought the engine on ebay with the ecu included and dont know what the exhaust was previously.)

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, Standard config is a 4 sensor system

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 1998 ford ranger reg cab 4x4 which was previously a 3.0 V6 with a manual tranny and now it has a 5.0 out of a 1997 ford explorer with an m5odr2 out of a 1999-2003 f150 and a bw4406 tcase. Anyway my question is if my ecu can support 4 o2 sensors? I bought aftermarket downpipes which have cats in them with 2 bungs on each for o2 sensors before and after each cat. I have a transmission harness from a 1998 explorer but I will have to repin it to make it work for my reverse lights and o2 sensors and then just just eliminate the wires for the dtr and trans functions. (I bought the engine on ebay with the ecu included and dont know what the exhaust was previously.)
Yes, If you still have the 5.0 auto trans harness compelete section, all four o2 sensors plugs will still be on it, ready to plug and play.

You will need to tap for your reverse lights from the harness.

Also the neutral safety switch, which you can either short together or run through your clutch pedal switch if you want the clutch push to be required to start as usdm cars do.

The truck will run and drive with the M5R2, but not a 100% correctly, you may get some surging under various load, and erratic decel/idle issues from the missing automatic trans input to the ecu. I had a 2dr Expo Sport with the swap and no tuning and I drove the piss out of it and then a friend bought it, so it worked but was not my daily or anything and I never delt with it. I got a SCT for my current V8/M5R2 Ranger build which will allow for correcting the missing autotrans as well as PATS, Gear/Tire Ratio, and Speedo, as well as engine tuning.

So just keep in mind that long term it will need some sort of tuning solution to fix the ecu expecting data from the trans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals