• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10'' drum to 9'' swap??

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello. I am getting an 8.8 with 10'' drums. I have a 7.5 with 9'' drums currently. All the brake stuff including parking brake cables were just replaced in the 9'' set up. My question is does anyone know for certain if I can swap it (including the backing plates) directly over to the 8.8? Thanks!!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think the better question is what is the point of swapping axles then.

The 28-spline 8.8 and the 7.5 have the same weaknesses and load ratings. The only real advantage of the 28-spline 8.8 over a 7.5 is the bigger brakes.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting one with limited slip.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Putting 9" brake parts on a 10" brake system won't work...even the brake cylinders are different from what I recall of parts ordering.

If you have the space, why not just swap the axel and try to sell the 7.5 with all the new parts...you might recoup some of the cost by doing that.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Technically I believe you could, if you also swapped the backing plates over. The 11" backing plates from F150's swapped over to my Explorer 8.8 (I didn't run them, I had the axle shafts out and was curious. for strictly the backing plate it mounted up fine)

But I must stress keeping the 10" brakes. They are SO much better than the 9" ones. You WILL notice a difference in stopping power.

I went from 9" to 10" on my 8.8, but I ordered new parking brake cables as well because mine were shot. Everything else worked fine.

I know you just went through the 9" parts, but please consider keeping the 10" stuff.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cpt. I'm surprised that you noticed big difference between 9 & 10" brakes...

My case: Ranger A with 9" is RC/SB with manual, while Ranger B with 10" is RC/LB with auto. And Ranger A stops better with clutch in, than Ranger B which I leave in drive. (Ranger A is actually heavier as it has bed liner and a/c, same engines).

Note: Ranger C with V-6 Mustang rear discs actually stops the worst even with premium pads & rotors. Biggest waste of time and money I have done with one of my Rangers.

(And yes, I have too many RBVs - comes with 2 teenage kids of my own, 2 teenage nieces, brother-in-law and me all wanting cheap transportation).

Back to problem at hand. If troymn wants to go to the effort of removing the differential cover, removing the axles, then he can unbolt the 9'' brakes from his 7.5" differential. Then repeating with the 8.8" will allow him to swap axles without having to bleed the brakes assuming he has unclipped the brake lines. Then he can bolt the existing brakes to the new housing, reinstall the axle, fill with fluids and be good to go. And at the end, he will have an 8.8" differential with limited slip and 9" drums.

I do agree with Cpt. keep the 10" stuff around and when the 9" wears out, swap back to the bigger stuff.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Note: Ranger C with V-6 Mustang rear discs actually stops the worst even with premium pads & rotors. Biggest waste of time and money I have done with one of my Rangers.
Your master cylinder is not proportioned correctly for rear disc brakes. I have an Explorer 8.8 with discs in my truck and judging from the wear on the rotors, or lack thereof, the fronts are doing about 98% of the work. The truck stops just fine but would be a lot better with the correct master cylinder...an issue that is high up on my list. I bet it would help in your situation as well.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shran:

I was going to say similar things about Captain's set up :) His 10" rear is biased to rear but that carries risks.

Ranger C has a proportioning valve so all 4 lock up at same time empty (and it isn't loaded much). It just takes 50% more force on the pedal to get there, and as a result, 'feel' isn't there. Biasing it more rear (better loaded), takes even more effort and makes me nervous about rear locking if the RABS fails. Factory set up locks the front's a little before the rear. (My wife wanted to be ensured that I wasn't going to kill her oldest child with the "upgrade" so whole set of tests done in Walmart parking lot early on Sunday mornings to demonstrate it was safe. Note: RABS disabled for all tests).

Ranger C stops good, has the 'bling' of discs, but eats pads to if you use the parking brake regularly, so Mustang rear disc just weren't worth the effort for me. Your results may differ...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think that disc brakes were really even a worthwhile upgrade for me and if I would have had a drum brake 8.8, I would have gladly used it. The brakes went from decent to kinda soft. Offroad it is no big deal but I am concerned about heating up the fronts on the highway when I'm out in the hills and it is definitely a little weird on snow or ice. Just something to fix eventually I guess, I will run across an Explorer master cylinder sooner or later.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I don't know what to tell you guys lol. When I had the 9" drums only very occasionally did I feel the ABS kick in, usually only when it was really slippery out after a fresh snowstorm. With the 10" drums I feel that ABS kicking in all the time, and it stops way shorter than it did before. I also put the Aerostar drums on it, but I doubt that really makes much of a difference in day-to-day empty driving.

Obviously they're an inch larger but they're also nearly 2X as wide, that can handle taking quite a bit more energy out of a system.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If i do keep the 10'' drums will the parking brake cables on the 8.8 hook up under the cab the same as the old 9''?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes...if you are not changing the length of the drive train then they will fit.

The only other thing you need to check is that the connector balls at both ends of the cable are the same or will work with the shoes/cable connector. Parts from a 96 Ranger will be the proper length regardless...even the rear cables should be the same length as the front cable makes up the difference between Extended and Regular cabs.

I know the 96 had a slightly different way of connecting the two cables to the front cable (than an 88) but didn't get to check the end that goes into the shoe inside the drum.

Pulling them apart to check compatibility might be the only way you can confirm that...other than having the parts in your hand and comparing them side by side.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I will tell you right now I would keep the brakes that came with the new rear end before I would pull the axles to change the backing plates.

troymn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals