• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission issues.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had some work done on my truck one being the 2.9-4.0 clutch conversion. now that I have it back after it warms up the trans is making a rubbing noise and when I put the clutch in its worse. also its difficult to get into 1st gear. Also, pretty much any time I put it into reverse it grinds, sometime way worse than others...

The shop that did the work, forgot I exist and screwed me over... Ive taken it to other shops and have been turned away because its an older vehicle, its modified (2.9-4.0 clutch conversion) or they want a crazy amount of money.

Any help to point me in the right direction would greatly help.

My truck is a 1989 Ranger STX 2.9v6 4x4. I believe its the mitsu trans, because the hurst shifter wouldn't fit.

Thanks!
Gary~

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It sounds like the throwout bearing, and probably the slave cylinder need replaced, or at least the system was not bled properly. Slave cylinder failure right after trans removal is fairly common on the setup used in Rangers.

I would complain to anyone turning you away because your vehicle is "modified". Frankly that clutch conversion barely qualifies since it is the same physical arrangement as stock, just with bigger parts. Get the boss out there and ask why your money is no good at his business.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like the throwout bearing, and probably the slave cylinder need replaced, or at least the system was not bled properly. Slave cylinder failure right after trans removal is fairly common on the setup used in Rangers.

I would complain to anyone turning you away because your vehicle is "modified". Frankly that clutch conversion barely qualifies since it is the same physical arrangement as stock, just with bigger parts.
I had one shop tell me that if they were to work on it they would require the conversion back to the 2.9 set up. the guy said, and I quote, "if you crammed bigger part inside there that's probably where the rubbing noise is coming from" then quoted me $900 to remove the transmission to just look at it...

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how severe is this? can I get through the winter with these issues.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would try bleeding the clutch and see if shifting gets better.

If it does but gets worse again in a few days I'd get the slave replaced, but if you have to have a shop do it don't tell them about the clutch swap. What they don't know won't hurt them, and in this case it won't change the part needed.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddy and I blead the clutch and it was great for a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like you found your issue, likely a leaky slave cylinder. Out of curiosity, what brand slave cylinder did you use?

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't believe it's changed.

How difficult is it to change slave cylinder? Does trans have to come out?

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

any input on this would be very helpful! Thanks!

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Yes, To change the slave cylinder (the part in the bellhousing attached to the throwout bearing) you have to unbolt the trans and drop it. You may be able to slide the trans towards the rear of the truck enough to replace the slave/throwout bearing without dropping it, but I'm not sure since I dropped my trans when doing it on my 89 2.9l Ranger while converting to the 4.0l clutch/starter in my driveway. Be sure to bleed all the air out of the new assembly and you should have a permanent fix. :beer::beer:

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info...

Guess I'll start calling shops...

If I drive it like this for a few more weeks / month will it break anything?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info...

Guess I'll start calling shops...

If I drive it like this for a few more weeks / month will it break anything?/QUOTE]

Sort of like who knows. A leaking slave, probably not. A bad throw out bearing or pilot bearing that explodes, probably!!

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed the clutch again, maybe weekly, until you can get it replaced.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After over another $1,000 at a different shop my transmission issue is finally fixed, well 90%.

What this new shop found was my transmission was hanging out of my truck!!! Of the 6 bolts holding the transmission on, 2 were missing, 3 were loose, and only 1 was tight. Thus ruining my new throw-out bearing, bending the plate between trans / engine which was rubbing on my new flywheel. upon removal the slave cylinder wasn't replaced (which i suspected because while bleeding it the bleeder was old)

To top it off, Because I drove it for awhile like this the syncros for 1st and reverse are going. Reverse sometimes clunks into gear where as 1st may need a slight bit of persuasion...

The shop that originally did the work has severely screwed me over and isn't standing behind a thing... they have basically forgot who I am after I paid that $7,000 bill...

Last edited:

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the grinding got worse so I brought it back to the shop where they said screw it and took everything out and ran part numbers...

turns out the hack show installed a 2005+ 4.0L clutch in my 89... after the right clutch was put in, everything is perfect... no issues whatsoever...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals