• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Save me some work!

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
Hey all!

I have a 1987 Bronco II with a 2.9, 5 speed and pretty new clutch. The rear is a disc-brake 8.8 with 4.10's. The front is currently a 3.45 d28, but am in the process of putting 4.10's in a d35 so I can have 4wd again. 4" RC lift and 32" tires. I know that I won't be satisfied until I have a 4 liter, but I also want the 4.10 gears.

Here're my questions: To make my vehicle what I want it to be with my Bronco, I need to have the front axle replaced with the regeared 4.10 and swap engines. If I find a 1991-1994 Explorer/Ranger, I need to swap rear axle and reinstall the front lift and front axle.
Suggestions? Which would be more work? I can turn a wrench, but I have to rely on others for welding, and I would prefer to do as much work as I can by myself.

I think what will push me one way or another is whether or not the rear leaf perches are the same width on a Bronco II as on an Explorer or Ranger, to make the disc 4.10 rear I am currently running a bolt in swap to an Explorer or Ranger.

Let me know what you think! All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
- Joe

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, the perches are not the same between any of the listed vehicles. The Ranger and BII are both spring over axle configurations, while the Explorer is a spring under. The BII also has a slightly wider perch width than the other two.

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
No, the perches are not the same between any of the listed vehicles. The Ranger and BII are both spring over axle configurations, while the Explorer is a spring under. The BII also has a slightly wider perch width than the other two.
I realize that the Ex is sprung over while the Bronco II is sprung under. But is the width the same? Will this be the same as flipping the centering bolts on the existing Ex springs?

Thanks.
- Joe

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are going to have to line out the width on the new rear end.Maybe if you buy they new perches grind off the old ones and figure the width have someone weld it together.When I was young I took a welding class at the local college if your interested you could look into that.

I ran 4.10's 33's and a 4.0 on my Bronco for years they work well together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals