• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 cranks but won't start

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, my 1990 B2 auto 4x4 had an issue over the past month. Once every 4 days while at a stop light it would just die. I could easily restart and then drive on. Then (might not be related) two weeks ago my tach gauge started just fluttering unusually, if my engine was at 1000 rpm the gauge would jump from 1000 - 2000 pretty fast. Also it was taking longer cranks to start.

Driving home from work one day it started to die all the time, I had to keep the engine reved in order to make it. Wasn't easy getting home... Then I parked it and last weekend I took the new fuel filter (cheap aftermarket) I had lying around and put that in. Now, she won't fire at all and just keeps cranking.

I tested my fuel pressure and it was at 20psi however that was with a leak as I couldn't get the gauge on very tight due to cold hands... So I think I have plenty of pressure and do hear the pump working.

What do I need to check next? If I have fuel coming in why won't she start?

Thanks for your help, I really need to get this going as it is my winter driving vehicle this year and I need the 4x4. THANK YOU!:icon_surprised:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My first guess is distributor or ignition module.

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
Is there an easy way for me to test those? I think I put a new ignition module in about 2 years ago, do they fail that fast?

Catterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9V6
Transmission
Automatic
Well I figured since an ignition module is cheap I will just replace it. Sure enough that was the problem. Turns out the one I replaced 2 years ago had a lifetime warranty so I got this one for free. Can't believe it would go bad so soon, oh well. Worst part about changing in the new one was I had to do it outside in 20 degree temps with snowblowing and it was dark. My fingers were cold and it took me 20 minutes but I got it done.

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals