• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV head gasket replacement procedure

mlunsford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Off Road
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
getting ready to put new heads on my 93 4.0, was wondering if someone has written a good change head gasket procedure here ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Haven't seen one, but nothing special is involved

If truck/vehicle runs I take it to my local muffler shop, have them remove and retighten(loosely) all the exhaust manifold bolts/nuts, replace any that break.
You can spend hours on a stripped or broken exhaust bolt, takes these guy less than a hour to do it all and they have replacement parts on hands.

Take lots of pictures, they are free, label wires and hoses if in doubt.

Fan clutch nut can be hard to get off without the Ford tools, you can rent them, or buy a set for $20.

4.0l heads MUST be surfaced and pressure tested, they are prone to cracking, if heads are "new" then they would have been tested, if they are used then have them tested.

Ford recommends installing the heads and intake, and then tightening all 3 down at the same time.
I have done just the heads and tighten to spec., then installed the lower intake and tighten it down, never had a problem doing it that way, I do add loc-tight to intake bolt threads, as they have a tendency to back out over time, they are only tightened to 16ft/lb

Head bolts need to be replaced as they are TTY, they stretch when installed, this gives them better warm and cold sealing for the heads, but when removed they don't "unstretch", so if reused they can snap or break at some point in the future as the head metal expands during warm up, so you "can" reuse them, you just shouldn't reuse them, lol.

tcbaklash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
First of all, make sure it REALLY is your heads that are problematic. Then figure out why.

Nothing sucks more than putting resurfaced heads on an engine only to find out that the radiator is clogged and destroys your timing cover from overheating, bringing you back to square one.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How much more fun is a 4.0 SOHC head gasket change? I'm picking up my sisters 05 next weekend and get to start on it.

93rangerxlt-ca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.0l sohc is a royal pain due to the front cam timing chain as well as the jackshaft timing chain and the rear timing chain locate on the back side lol oh its a blast for sure and i feel your pain haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals