• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine builders please help.

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the process of building a 1993 ford ranger 4x4 into a pre runner/class 2000 truck for some local races. Now onto my questions I am pulling the 4.0 out for a rebuild plus a little extra to wake it up not lookin for huge power just a little extra and I figured I might as well wile it's out and being rebuilt. Will be bored .20 or .30 over depending on what the machine shop says all new bearings ext now for my questions I will be running a comp 410 cam and I would like to run the 1.73 adjustable rockers also will I be okay with stock length push rods and valve springs or will I need to change those and if so what length and spring rate will I need to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I should also add that I plan on running 1995 heads to gain a bit of compression plus one of mine was cracked so they needed to be replaced any ways but I wanted the 1995 heads to gain a bit of compression I know with out the egr system I'll have to run 91 fuel but I'm not to worried about that I usually run 91 in it anyways and I always run 91 in my f150 so I am use to it.
Also debating on this because the other set of rockers says they might need addition clearance to the head and these say they are a factory replacement just not adjustable not sure what to choose.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4.0 uses shaft mounted rockers, not pedestal. Also pretty sure 4.0 is close to max on bore size stock. Could run into longevity issues if you go bigger than a .010 clean up.

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
If it need to be bore to 10 go with it. Something can happen and you still have bigger bores you can go to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

aaron88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
kind of a 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'll bore it as much as the machine shop says is safe not worried about having to do it again 4.0s are cheap and plentiful around here. and I called Harland sharp they said the rockets would not work but could set me up for right around 750-800$ ready to roll.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals