• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 4.0 ECM question

Brad474747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
im looking to replace the ECM on my 4.0 (f47f-12a650-zc) and for the life of me cant seem to find one matching that exact part number... i've even searched through the Cardone part number (78-6515), and so far i've found nowhere that has it... the places that do have it dont have it in stock or want an exorbitant price for it

does anybody have sources other than rock auto and the standard parts stores for something like this? or is there any chance of one being interchangeable?

UPDATE: im looking on one website that's listing the engine size/drive type/transmission type for the specific ECMs and it's got mine listed as the one for the 4.0 RWD with an Automatic Transmission, mine is a RWD with a Manual transmission and California Emissions (it doesnt specify on the website federal vs california)

is it possible that this ECM has been replaced with the wrong type prior to my ownership of the truck?

Last edited:

twfmvm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The best way to find out would be to go to a junk yard and try to find a similar model. I'm not familiar with the 4.0 but the ECM should be interchangeable with other model years with the same engine and manual transmission. A junk yard would also have much better prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This part number breaks down like this
f47f-12a650-zc

f4, f = 199, 4 = 4 so 1994 is the year, e was 198, so e4 would be 1984, f2 = 1992
7f, 7 = Ranger, f = electronic part, many Explorers also used 7 and B-series Mazda's also used the 7

12a650 = generic part number used for all Ford PCMs/ECMs, still

zc is a hard one since Ford never released these codes publicly, they usually do denote engine size and manual or automatic but there are exceptions so it isn't as specific as it seems.

There will be another 3 or 4 digit code Stamped on the ECM, in larger letters, same code will be found on a label in the door jamb(passenger side usually) or under the hood.
This number tells you the exact model engine and trans, and engine options, i.e. Calif. or Fed that this ECM was was programmed for.
But again these code numbers were never released publicly for cross referencing as far as I know.

Your best bet would be to find a used ECM from a Calif ranger/mazda RWD 4.0l manual trans, 1994 would be best but I think a 1992/93 would work as well.
Explorer also but finding a manual trans ECM would be very hard, since most were autos
In 1995 Rangers got the new ECM, 104 pin EEC-V, which won't work to replace your 60 pin EEC-IV

ECMs rarely fail, they are way overbuilt for the use, open the case and have a look inside, if circuit board shows blackened area then yes most likely you need another one, if clean then you have a wiring issue not ECM issue.

Good look at inside of one here: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv
And you can see the "D1T3" stamped on code as well

Last edited:

Brad474747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So I've found one through Cardone for a 93 4.0 that matches all my engine size/transmission/drive type/and emissions type requirements... Cardone says that it'll fit the 94 B4000, I've found it on Amazon and various part sites confirming the fitment, but on carid.com it says "Replaces OE# F37Z12A650KA, ZZM218881 Only." Would I have any issues with this replacement?

Also I did pull the ECM and i inspected the board, it was clean and appeared undamaged, however my dad told me that if a component failed it won't always show visually. Is that correct info?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals