• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie question on 85 elect. system

blumoon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 L
Transmission
Manual
I new to this fourm, and just bought my first Bronco II, a 1985 with 147,000 miles, 2.8 v6 , 5 spd. its has only been driven in the winter for the last 8 years till i bought it last november. I have been a ford man for about 35 years but this is my first little guy, and i must say i love it. Just a few questions, Are they all really cold blooded,:icon_confused: I put a 196 degree stat in where it belongs, or is it the elec. system they run, I plan on changing over to the dura spark 2. glad i found you tec page on it. I have a 79 capri with the 2.8 v6, duraspark set up, can I use the parts from it. box, dist, wiring and carb.
The other question is about the clutch throw out system, any advise on it. Sometimes its a pain to get into gear, think it needs replaced, any brand better then the other. Thanks in advance any help will be appreciated.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes to all the duraspark conversion and if you do the clutch change the flywheel and rear main seal while you have it apart along with the tranny seals. For the duraspark just use the stock TFI coil in the truck and run the power from the coil to the red on the module and the wire from the start solenoid (small wire from the key) to the white wire on the module.

blumoon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks kimcrwbr1 plan to do he elec. swap real shorlty. Thanks also about the info on the clutch, i'm use to old skool stuff like my 68 ford :icon_thumby:and 56 willey wagons. Maplevalley is a nice place, been years since i've been threw there, thanks:beer:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks kimcrwbr1 plan to do he elec. swap real shorlty. Thanks also about the info on the clutch, i'm use to old skool stuff like my 68 ford :icon_thumby:and 56 willey wagons. Maplevalley is a nice place, been years since i've been threw there, thanks:beer:
For the carb you will need to get a carb spacer # 60529 felpro to fit the base of the non feedback carb. Get a rebuild kit and the way I surfaced the base of the carb is glue a sheet of 180 grit sandpaper and glue it to a nice flat piece of plywood and slowly work it around until the surface is all the same color. Be careful not to gouge it you will see where the ears are probably bent down a little. The spacer has a gasket on both sides but you will need to use the one out of the kit between the spacer and the carb and just get it snug, then after a couple of warm ups snug it again cold. Mine runs best at 5 degrees before top dead center with the vacuum advance for the dizzy on manifold vacuum just cap the ported vacuum fittings on the carb and adjust the idle air screws for the highest rpm or vacuum pressure.

blumoon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 L
Transmission
Manual
For the carb you will need to get a carb spacer # 60529 felpro to fit the base of the non feedback carb. Get a rebuild kit and the way I surfaced the base of the carb is glue a sheet of 180 grit sandpaper and glue it to a nice flat piece of plywood and slowly work it around until the surface is all the same color. Be careful not to gouge it you will see where the ears are probably bent down a little. The spacer has a gasket on both sides but you will need to use the one out of the kit between the spacer and the carb and just get it snug, then after a couple of warm ups snug it again cold. Mine runs best at 5 degrees before top dead center with the vacuum advance for the dizzy on manifold vacuum just cap the ported vacuum fittings on the carb and adjust the idle air screws for the highest rpm or vacuum pressure.
Thanks on the spacer info. have to finish shoveling out the snow to get to the capri. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals