• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Liftgate lifts?

Trekkiejt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought my first Ford, first SUV, first lifted anything and it is an '89 Bronco II XLT. This is also my first vehicle with power locks and windows. Anyway, back to the question. This vehicle has some very minor issues with it. It needed brakes and wheel bearings for the worst of it. The only thing I am having trouble repairing is the liftgate. It is sagging and is out of adjustment. The passenger side of it nearly rubs the taillight while the driver side has a gap of about 1/4 inch and will not close all the way. I've adjusted the strike posts as well as the top and bottom of both hinges and cannot get the liftgate up high enough to close over the new bushings I installed nor can I get it straight. Can I shim it up to where it needs to be? Maybe with some flat washers? The body is not rusted at all by the hinges and the liftgate is not cracked that I can find. If I can shim it where on the hinges would it be best? I searched through the forums and came up with nothing along these lines.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow,
That's different. Did you adjust both the hinge to the truck and to the lift gate? Admittedly there's not much adjustment on the hatch side of things but it doesn't take much to affect the whole gate. I've had this same issue on a couple BIIs but adjustment of the hinges always brought it in to spec. If you didn't know already, you have to take off the interior cover across the back of the roof to get to the hinge mount bolts and they are usually stuck due to the seam sealer used at the factory. I've had to wrestle with them to fine tune the alignment of the hatch. I'd advise against shimming as that will condense the weight of the hatch to the area of the washers and would most likely fatigue the mounting sheet metal in short order. Please let us know if you need any further help. Good luck!

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What happened on mine was the bottom corners rusted and allowed the body to move so that it was not square anymore. check the space between the bottom of the hatch and the bumper on each side.

Trekkiejt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I loosened the two bolts on the top of both hinges as well as the two underneath the molding. The ones on the bottom weren't stuck but there is dealer around what looks like washers against the frame. Should I try to break those loose? Also my drivers side will not close fully, my guess by the scratches is the striker is catching the side of the latch. It is aligned even with the bumper however. Also when closed it does not sit even with the roof, it sits low by about 1/8 inch on both sides--hence the shimming idea.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd make sure the strikers are correct. They come in different sizes and my B2 had a striker from who knows what on one of the doors with a bunch of washers used as shims and the door wasn't sitting correctly.

Trekkiejt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The strikers are the correct ones and original to the vehicle. I tried adjusted them as far down as they'll go but they were already in that position.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've owned 3 89s, the first one was only a few years old when I bought it in 1992. All of them had a slight "hang" in the lift gate operation. None where as bad as yours, so I never invested any time trying to make them better. I know it won't be free, but maybe a good body shop could fix it in short order.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals