• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interesting Compression Test Results...

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So guys. I decided to do a compression test for shits and giggles today on my 99 3.slow with 181,xxx miles on it. Cylinders 1,2,3 are on the drivers side starting at the radiator and back towards the firewall, same for 4,5,6 on the passenger. Tell me what you think!:icon_thumby:
#1:149
#2:140
#3:121
#4:170
#5:152
#6:152

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i have cylinder 1 and 3 at 120 and im getting a cel for misfire on cylinder 1. other than that the rest are 150.
Im still not sure if im misfiring due to low compression and/or whats giving me the low compression on those 2.

So I would be a little concerned with the #3 cylinder, not sure if its causing you to misfire and throwing a cel or not. also the #4 is just a tad high, not sure what problem if any this would create. ill shut up and let the pro's respond

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lol, nah it's ok. I'm not an expert, any input is helpful. I just can't figure out why #3 is so low.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
lol, nah it's ok. I'm not an expert, any input is helpful. I just can't figure out why #3 is so low.
being im not an internal motor expert and never mess with stuff inside the engine. Im having my cousing take the valve cover off and look at my #1 and #3 cylinders both reading at 120. He is suggesting maybe a bad valve spring(s). I think its either that or there is tiny crack in head gasket or tiny crack in heads.

from what im told either of those things could cause low compression. Ill let you know what i find out about mine running low. Im sure theres a few other possibilites for low compression other than crack head or gasket. Someone will chime in soon.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
it could be a bad valve seal , piston rings , carbon buildup ont the valve seats , or the plug is not seated completely , the lowest pressure should be within 75% of the highest

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cylinder 1 on fords is always on the right or passenger side.

looks like you have a problem in cylinder #6

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Correct, and valve seals, guides, etc., won't cause a compression problem. Compression is read when the cylinder is sealed. You either have a leaking valve, rings, or head gasket.:)shady

beejium

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Correct, and valve seals, guides, etc., won't cause a compression problem. Compression is read when the cylinder is sealed. You either have a leaking valve, rings, or head gasket.:)shady
on the money Shady. i also wanted to point out that most manufacturers allow a 10% curve in compression between cylinders.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Throw a couple Squirts of oil in there and check it again.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I understand that. I posted it the way I did so that regardless of whatever is REALLY cylinder #1 everyone would be in the same boat and understand what the hell I was talking about. BTW, my sister could have told me I had a problem in #6. :thefinger::icon_thumby:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To everyone else, thanks for the tips. I'm not much for internals but I replaced the head gaskets at 175k or so. I understand that by squirting some oil in there it will tell me whether I have bad valves or bad rings. Correct? Overall, what do you guys think about the other readings I got? Keep in mind that it has 181k. I'm going to drive her til she dies though, she doesn't wanna give in.:icon_thumby:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
To everyone else, thanks for the tips. I'm not much for internals but I replaced the head gaskets at 175k or so. I understand that by squirting some oil in there it will tell me whether I have bad valves or bad rings. Correct? Overall, what do you guys think about the other readings I got? Keep in mind that it has 181k. I'm going to drive her til she dies though, she doesn't wanna give in.:icon_thumby:
If a couple or three squirts raises compression,probably rings.If it stays low probably valves or head gasket.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
doing this and if it changes compression, indicates the rings are to blame right?

for some reason the post above this just showed up, disregard this haha

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If a couple or three squirts raises compression,probably rings.If it stays low probably valves or head gasket.
Hmm, I hope it's valves or rings, I just did head gaskets. Also, I seem to have a lifter tap, atleast what it sounds like from the same cylinder.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for 181,xxx miles i would be happy with the results. your cylinder walls are probally begining to taper, rings wearing out, valve seats getting leaky, etc. if anything hope its not the rings or cylinders. valves are easy to replace compared to rebuilding the whole motor.
Beef

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals