• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looks Like The New Ford Ranger Is Already Off-Roading In Moab

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
From Jalopnik:

An uncamo’d, production-spec-looking new Ford Ranger was spotted at what appeared to be a photo or commercial shoot in the off-roader’s paradise of Moab, Utah. Now that the 2018 Wrangler has landed, this can be our new 4x4 fixation for a bit.

As you can see, this pickup truck’s handlers have made an attempt to mask the vehicle’s identity with a sheet over its tailgate (which probably reads R A N G E R in big letters) but it didn’t fool the Jalopnik reader who sent us this photo. The cab silhouette clearly looks like the current “T6” Ranger sold internationally, and of course “FX4” is Ford’s mild off-road trim level for its U.S.-market truck lines.

The truck in our reader’s photo doesn’t have the cab skirts you see on the Australian-market Ranger WildTrak, but yeah, it looks like the same truck otherwise.

Resource: https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-new-ford-ranger-is-already-off-roading-i-1821660039/amp

Attachments

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
According to Ford's page:

Off-the-grid adventures are just down the road.

Or around the lake. Or on the trail. Or up the mountain. And here comes the capability to do them right: The all-new Ford Ranger. Ford is bringing back the Ranger pickup to its vehicle lineup in 2019. So, line up your boards, your bikes, your coolers and your carabiners. And gear up for the newest way to be Built Ford Tough.®
I don't know that Moab is where I'd be showing off the new Ranger, or taking promo photos. The FX4 models are great off-road. I'd show this on an adventure like the Trans American Trail, or up on Imogene or Engineer pass in Colorado. Show people camping somewhere remote and beautiful. Someplace a mid sized Ranger was able to get them too, and haul their camping gear. No Jeeps pulling trailers, just a Ranger doing it all.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The number of buyers that are going to drop 30-40k on a new truck and then thrash it on rugged trails has got to be pretty small doesn't it? For the average consumer, if they don't see pavement in the ad, then it meets their desire for a rugged, utilitarian, and capable vehicle that will rarely leave the asphalt.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The number of buyers that are going to drop 30-40k on a new truck and then thrash it on rugged trails has got to be pretty small doesn't it? For the average consumer, if they don't see pavement in the ad, then it meets their desire for a rugged, utilitarian, and capable vehicle that will rarely leave the asphalt.
Tons of Tacos out there doing just that. TRD Pro can push $50k, lots popup tents on top of bed cages.

The scenery behind the truck probably won't be a dealbreaker for any but there are more people that wheel the crap out of midsize trucks than I thought before I started looking into them.

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Aftermarket blacked-out tail lights will probably be a big hit. Those things are HUGE!

Too bad he didn't get a pic of the front. Curious to see how much they changed that from the ROW T6.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Aftermarket blacked-out tail lights will probably be a big hit. Those things are HUGE!

Too bad he didn't get a pic of the front. Curious to see how much they changed that from the ROW T6.
The whole back end is kinda thick. Reminiscent of a second gen Sport Trac.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Looks like they didn't change it much at all. That's just an ugly T6 with an Fx4 badge. :bad:

Does this tell us anything about the new bronco? Will it just be a lame Explorer/Everest with a new grill?

We'll see soon enough I guess.

Sublime

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like they didn't change it much at all. That's just an ugly T6 with an Fx4 badge. :bad:

Does this tell us anything about the new bronco? Will it just be a lame Explorer/Everest with a new grill?

We'll see soon enough I guess.
I'd buy a Bronco if it looks like the show truck. Rebadged Everest, not a chance.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They said all along it was just getting a facelift and powertrain revamp.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Seeing as how the T6 has been sold in other markets since about 2011 it is a little disappointing that Ford could not have taken this opportunity to bring out a next generation truck. I just hope this isn't a sign that they are not really committed to the mid-size market and will let the "new" Ranger rot on the vine. It's not as if they haven't done it before.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd buy a Bronco if it looks like the show truck. Rebadged Everest, not a chance.
That rendering was not done by Ford. It was done by someone at bronco6g.com. The last time Ford had a "show truck" or Bronco concept was way back in 2004. I would be really surprised if the 2020 Bronco looks like either one of those but I also hope it is more than just a rebadged Everest.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ford has been consistent that the new Ranger would just be RoW Ranger with a facelift and American drivetrain/interior.

They have also said Bronco wouldn't just be RoW Everest with facelift/America drivetrain/interior. So, I still hope for style closer to Expedition.

If my only choice for Ranger is SCrew/microbox, I might as well get a Bronco and trailer. Significant other passionately hates trailers, so a SCab/regular box is the ideal middle.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The 6G renderings are just fantasy BS.

A new Everest would most likely be an Everest with a new facial makeover for the U.S.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seeing as how the T6 has been sold in other markets since about 2011 it is a little disappointing that Ford could not have taken this opportunity to bring out a next generation truck. I just hope this isn't a sign that they are not really committed to the mid-size market and will let the "new" Ranger rot on the vine. It's not as if they haven't done it before.
Very true.

I think they are testing the market with minimal investment at the moment. If the thing takes off and runs they know it is worth more investment, if not it dies and they are only out a facelift.

Of course they stick pathetic engines in it and/or price it too close to a F-150 and it will won't take long to write it off.

I keep hearing from my wife I need a four door truck, I don't want an oil tanker of a truck... Supercrew with a 5' box would be about perfect.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I keep hearing from my wife I need a four door truck, I don't want an oil tanker of a truck... Supercrew with a 5' box would be about perfect.
The 4' bed on my Sport Trac hasn't been that big of a problem and I've had mine since new in Jan '07. I have an 8'x12' Aluma trailer for anything that won't fit in the bed and an 18' box trailer for big stuff that I don't want to get dirty. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals