• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Raptor renders

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to hate the T6... they are really growing on me.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
One other positive thing to consider is that there is already a ton of body and suspension aftermarket parts available for the current T6. A lot of that stuff should fit the truck we are likely to get.
I doubt we will be getting all of the same drivetrains with the possible exception of the 3.2L turbo diesel so any performance mods not designed to fit that engine are probably not going to fit our trucks.
My guess is that we will get different gas engine options than other markets but the big diesel will probably be a carryover.
Rumor has it that the small 2.2L turbo diesel is being replaced by new 2.0L for other markets but I would be surprised if we get either of those engines.
However, I will not be surprised if the top gas engine is the 2.3L EcoBoost. If that happens, you will probably see me keeping my V8 Sport Trac for a few more years.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
One other positive thing to consider is that there is already a ton of body and suspension aftermarket parts available for the current T6. A lot of that stuff should fit the truck we are likely to get.
I doubt we will be getting all of the same drivetrains with the possible exception of the 3.2L turbo diesel so any performance mods not designed to fit that engine are probably not going to fit our trucks.
My guess is that we will get different gas engine options than other markets but the big diesel will probably be a carryover.
Rumor has it that the small 2.2L turbo diesel is being replaced by new 2.0L for other markets but I would be surprised if we get either of those engines.
However, I will not be surprised if the top gas engine is the 2.3L EcoBoost. If that happens, you will probably see me keeping my V8 Sport Trac for a few more years.
I think the 2.3 Eco would be an excellent engine choice with the right tranny/transfer case/rearend/axles.

mavereq

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I’m not a fan

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think the 2.3 Eco would be an excellent engine choice with the right tranny/transfer case/rearend/axles.
I'm looking for a reasonably sized truck that can still occasionally tow 7000lbs. The T6 Ranger can already do that with the 3.2L 5 cyl turbo diesel. Problem is I don't want the extra cost and maintenance of a diesel. The 2.3L EcoBoost might be able to tow that kind of weight but I'm betting it would be gas hog when do so because it would be constantly into the boost, especially in the hilly terrain here in western PA. My preference would be the 2.7L V-6 EcoBoost.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Once I got my head around fact that the T-6 Ranger is a 2019 Explorer Sport Trac, I sort of warmed up to it. (I got to compare the trucks side by side in parking lot at one of Mexico plants)

My current bets:

Duratech 2.5 I-4 as loss leader (the "known" engine from RoW)
Cyclone 3.3 V-6 as large NA engine
Ecoboost 2.3 as top engine
Powerstroke 3.2 as Diesel?

Transmission anything you want so long as it is an auto
There might be some 6R80s - RoW Rangers have them behind 2.5 and 3.2.
3.3 and 2.3 Eco get the 10R80

Transfer case:
BW 4467 or 4469 depending AWD or electric respectively

Axels:
Dana 35 IFS front
Dana 44 rear - I do wonder if it will be removable carrier like RoW Ranger or Salisbury.

The rumors that it will only be offered in SCrew/micro bed are...disappointing. There will be a test to see if the Camper fits in the new Ranger or not... I would take a SCrew with a short bed, but that would need a different frame. All 3 configurations of RoW have same wheelbase/OAL = same frame.

p.s. I hope Superlift comes out with new knuckles; the picture Jim posted with the extension block for the upper mount isn't confidence inspiring.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with most of your points. The only exception would be that if it gets the 3.3L non-turbo V-6 that engine might get the 6R80 as well since that is what they use behind that engine in the 2018 F-150.
Like I said before, I'm really hoping the top gas engine is the 2.7L EB but that will probably be reserved for a Raptor version as a 2020 model.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
I'm looking for a reasonably sized truck that can still occasionally tow 7000lbs. The T6 Ranger can already do that with the 3.2L 5 cyl turbo diesel. Problem is I don't want the extra cost and maintenance of a diesel. The 2.3L EcoBoost might be able to tow that kind of weight but I'm betting it would be gas hog when do so because it would be constantly into the boost, especially in the hilly terrain here in western PA. My preference would be the 2.7L V-6 EcoBoost.
Would be dangerous to tow 7000 pounds with a small truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would be dangerous to tow 7000 pounds with a small truck.
Truck ain't that small, a tad smaller than a 1997-2003 F-series. I tow 7K with my '02 F-150 quite a bit.

It would be about right for the class, Taco is rated 6500 and I think the Colorado is in the neighborhood too.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
T6 Ranger size compared to 2006-10 Explorer Sport Trac; images are same scale more/less:

I couldn't find a great front view of the T-6 (in white), but the width of T6 (Mexico) is 72.8"; last generation Sport Trac was 73.7"

Tow rating for the Mexico T6 is 7,700 lbs which exactly matches the Colorado.

Given 5,200lb F-150s are rated to tow, >12k trailer, the T6 at 4,600lbs is underrated by current standards.

My mistake on the 3.3/10R80; I knew all Mustangs with auto came with 10R80s now; I didn't know they had dropped the V-6 from the 'stang line up. (Should have done my homework).

Attachment

Attachments

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice comparison, don. Thanks.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
T6 Ranger size compared to 2006-10 Explorer Sport Trac; images are same scale more/less:

I couldn't find a great front view of the T-6 (in white), but the width of T6 (Mexico) is 72.8"; last generation Sport Trac was 73.7"

Tow rating for the Mexico T6 is 7,700 lbs which exactly matches the Colorado.

Given 5,200lb F-150s are rated to tow, >12k trailer, the T6 at 4,600lbs is underrated by current standards.

My mistake on the 3.3/10R80; I knew all Mustangs with auto came with 10R80s now; I didn't know they had dropped the V-6 from the 'stang line up. (Should have done my homework).

Attachment
Out of curiosity I wondered how the new Ranger would compare to my 2002 F-150 scab shortbox.

225.5" OAL F-150 / 210" Ranger
79.3" Wide F-150 / 72.8" Ranger
75.5" Tall F-150 / 72.8" Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals