• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

do i need an oxygen sensor?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you either need an O2 sensor or spark plugs.

How does it run?

eliaslear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well, i bought the truck recently and it was running and idling like shit. i didn't notice there was no check engine bulb when i bought it as we don't have emissions here and in alabama most vehicles have the light on anyway as people don't really care about their cars here. the last owner for some reason decided to replace bank 2 injectors. i assume he grabbed some flex fuel injectors from the wrong truck on just the easy side which is why only three were replaced without having to pull the intake. i put a bulb in for check engine and ran codes which showed i had a stuck rich condition on bank 2. so after investigating, i ran part numbers and sure enough the injectors were the bigger flex fuel injectors instead of regular gas injectors (i noticed they had an extra 4th hole in the spray atomizer which is what got me to looking up the part numbers). so i replaced them with some gas only injectors and the truck runs perfect now. however, i have no idea how long the truck has been running like that, dumping fuel on that right oxygen sensor. it looks to me as if maybe it's been fouled for a while as it's as black as the old spark plugs on that side (before i replaced them the left bank plugs had a perfect color to them and the right were covered in black shit). i'm also probably going to replace the y pipe as mine has precats and i'm sure that extra gas has ruined the passenger precat. btw since i have your attention, do any of the older 3.0 have a non precat y pipe?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
O2 sensor regularly lasts 120-150k miles, they start to run engine richer as they get older, not as rich as you are describing but they will cost you money in MPG over time.

So, yes, I would replace O2 sensor(s) from your description or even if over 120k.
Price of new O2s pay for themselves over the next 120k

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals