• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

here is a turn signal problem for you

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
when im driving along, my break lights work fine, the 4-way flashers work fine, when I turn on my left turn signal, it works fine, when I turn on my right turn signal it blows the fuse to the turn/backup lights.

BUT

when I'm sitting in the the drive way, with the steering wheel off and column cover off, the right turn signal works fine, even when I start up the truck, and turn the steering wheel, and move the truck back and forth in the drive way, it works, and of course all the other lights work fine.

I know it isn't the wiring going to the lights, because the four way flashers are working and not blowing fuse's, and the break lights work and don't blow a fuse, and the backup lights don't blow the fuse, only when I'm driving and use the right turn signal does it blow the fuse.

I have been thinking (which cause's me a headache) it might be the switch in the column, or is there another place under the dash where a box or something might be causing my problem???

thank you all for any help.

Robert

Last edited:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Indications lead me to suggest amperage short. Look for a frayed wire in the neutral side of the turn signal. When the truck is in motion, more amperage is available for the turn signals. This amperage (if it shorts on the neutral) would add to the turn / backup amperage and blow the fuses.

MAYBE:icon_confused:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you, I check all of that.
is the switch in the column the only place that the turn/4way/breaks all come together ? or there another place behind - under the dash ??

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I bought me a new turn/dimmer switch this morning because I was also having a problem with the dimmer switch part, I installed the new part, and took the old one apart, it was filled with crude, and if it didnt short out I would be surprized.

hopefully this fix this little problem.

thank you all

Nope new switch didn't fix my problem and I have check for freyed wires. :(

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals