• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger exhaust from cat back

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it fell off again! the factory exhaust lasted about 7 years, and the replacement held in there for less then 2.

i know the factory is a stainless steel type, and my replacement is just rust-loving tin, but i would think $240 worth of parts would last longer then 18 months?

what do you guys recommend? its really not about the work involved... its easy to take these things off and put them on. its just the money... what a killer!

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have nothing after my cat and it works for me :icon_twisted:

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:D well yeah... i mean its not like this truck left me stranded and its not its fault that all mufflers suck. im tempted to buy an oem exhaust if i can, but i fear the cost.... i should just call ford and see what they run for

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Trader, I just checked with the parts guys here at my dealership and they said the 99 Ranger exhaust is obsolete, no longer available from Ford. It sucks that they do that on vehicles that really aren't that old. 9 times out of 10 when I ask for something for my 97 they tell me the same thing........

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey thanks for checking!

i wonder if a newer year would fit the same though... from about 98 to present day there really hasnt been much innovation at all...

its too bad i didnt have this happen at the same time my tranny went out... i probably could have had the stock exhaust pulled from the same truck i got the tranny.. it only has 10k miles on it!

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
go to a junkyard and see if you can find a decent oem exhaust

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well after finding a coat hanger and re-hanging the muffler until tomorrow, i noticed the actual muffler strap is what broke first, then the stress on the neck broke the pipe clean off.

my exhaust really didnt rust out, but the strap did and my thickhead didnt check things when i first noticed a problem a few days ago (on hard bumps i could hear the exhaust hitting what i thought was the frame... and turns out it was actually the driveshaft that has all the scrapes!)

so im guessing i got about half the life i should have out of it... i should have checked that strap because if i would have just replaced that right off the bat im sure it would have been fine.

still pretty shitty that the strap rusted out that quick......

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
just take it to a muffler shop. around here i can get straights for like 40 bucks probaly like 100 with like a cheap magnaflow or something. you dont have to get an oem or oe replace ment. you'll get better gas mileage with after market anyway.

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i want silent though.... i hate going to drivethroughs and not being able to talk... and days like today where the power has been out, my truck idles in my yard with a 1000w power inverter running the fridge.

i got a replacement muffler and pipes... i can replace it all in a half hour but not without a hoist and air gun... comed needs to call up some reinforcements and get the power back on!

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
it was the strap itself that rusted through. the truck is 11 years old and nowhere does it have rust like that strap was. that strap was less then 2 years old and it looked like its been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for decades. chinese metal. im just sayin.

new exhaust on. they gave me an extension pipe (one from cat to muffler) for a standard cab when i asked for one for a extended cab.

so a 1 hour job turned into 3 as i had to carefully remove the old pipe from old muffler and manage to squeeze the mangled pipe into new muffler. tightend down the u clamps and kinda made it look like a flower... i wanted to make sure it wouldnt leak.

and it doesnt! perfectly silent. good for another 1.6 years i guess. ill have to keep an eye on that main strap this time.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals