• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Running rough... I have no idea what it could be. Lot's of info, long read.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't recall reading this, but did you replace your cat and make sure your exhaust is free-flowing?

redgooch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to get off subject but if you can't find a fitting to hook up an air hose to check compression & you have a welder gut out an old sparkplug and weld an air fitting on it. Just make sure it doesn't leak before you use it. Might save you a couple of bucks buying a new one.

BMXJEFF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
#1 after my last post on 3-24-09 i replaced my cat and muffler and it did change things but did not cure the problem so i bit the bullet and pulled the head. i found all four exhaust valve seats were very badly worn so i took my head to the machine shop and had it rebuilt i installed it today and it purrrs no more stumbling,missing,dying. but i did not get a chance to drive it when i took it apart i found the fan was getting ready to explode it was cracked between every blade. i am thinking about going with a flex fan and getting rid of my fan clutch. ill get back as soon as i get to drive it.

LATER!!! BUTCH

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
#1 after my last post on 3-24-09 i replaced my cat and muffler and it did change things but did not cure the problem so i bit the bullet and pulled the head. i found all four exhaust valve seats were very badly worn so i took my head to the machine shop and had it rebuilt i installed it today and it purrrs no more stumbling,missing,dying. but i did not get a chance to drive it when i took it apart i found the fan was getting ready to explode it was cracked between every blade. i am thinking about going with a flex fan and getting rid of my fan clutch. ill get back as soon as i get to drive it.

LATER!!! BUTCH
Cool, it sounds like you may be getting somewhere. Just curious, how much did it cost to have the head rebuilt?

BMXJEFF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Head Job

I TOOK IT TO NAPA AND IT WAS 267.00 FOR LABOR AND PARTS plus i bought new head bolts and a gasket set the bolts were 38.00 ang gaskets were 67.00 altogether it came to 403.00. I took it for a drive today about 10 miles and it has more power, i can use 5th gear now. but i still have a 1443 problem i am going to change my purge valve next. i also went with a hayden 14 inch flex fan without the clutch.

BUTCH

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals