• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck won't start in cold weather

Ranger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Right now, the weather is -10 degrees where I live, and I tried starting my ranger, and it won't start; it does try to turn over though. I have an oil pan heater I have plugged in everyday. I decided to get a new battery, a diehard gold with 850 crank amps. Once I put this new battery in, and tried to start my truck, it still won't start, but it wants to turn over. The oil and the coolant levels are fine. I tried having a jump twice with another vehicle. Nothing. A few people say its the fuel filter/fuel lines, or that its just so cold outside that my truck doesn't want to start. What can this be? Why can't I start my truck? Do I need a block heater? Thanks.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
does the starter actually turn the motor over, or just make a bunch of racket?

Ranger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah it turns over fine just won't catch.

We put a bottle of Heet (yellow bottle) in there tonight and tried again but it hasn't seemed to help yet. We are going to let it sit then try again.

Could the lines be so froze up that we might be forced to let them thaw out? We're stuck with below freezing temps for at least another 5 straight days. :bawling:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
unless you have water in your lines, they are not frozen yet.

check your fuel pressure at the rail.

Ranger22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
How do I do that? I haven't worked on cars much so perhaps a picture might help? Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you need a fuel pressure gauge. it screws onto a valve (looks just like the valve on your tires) on the fuel rail.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try a small amount of starting fluid in the intake manifold and see if it starts. This will tell you if it is a fuel problem or not.

At -10* temp, any water in the fuel lines will freeze. Does the pump start for a couple seconds when you turn on the ignition? Pull the gas cap, hold your ear to the fill tube, and have someone turn on the switch. Being that it is in the bottom of the tank, if it is sitting in water it will freeze and not turn:)shady

Last edited:

Cheek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91'
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or if you dont have a gauge just check to see that its getting pressure at all. find the valve on the fuel rail like whicked sludge said and Take a screw driver and push inside the valve but dont stick your face over it or anything and see if fuel squirts out. If it does releive all the pressure turn the key over a couple of times and try it again. You should get a pretty good spray if it has fuel pressure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals