• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

propane performace

mikej83

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, im lookin for some info on performace propane setups. i have a line on a shortblock built for propane specifically, mainly the 13:1 (might be 13.5:1) compression pistons and such. i've searched and searched the net, only finding a huge amount of dual fuel or conversion info. nothin on performace setups. apparently theres a book about it, but its out of print, and i've yet to find it. anyone with any knowledge of it, or anything, it would be greatly appreciated:D thanks

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what do you want to know? i have a slightly modded 5.0, i used an edelbrock preformer RPM air gap intake, an impco 425 mixer, model L convertor, and a 12v. solinoid in place of the VFF30. mine runs FABULOUS! i used a holley dbl pmpr throttle plate (bolted right to the bottom of the 425), so it has INSTANT throttle response. i am planning on later adding some performer RPM heads and replacing the intake with an RPM air gap dual quad intake and adding another 425 mixer. if your motor is a small block, and doesnt have aftermarket heads or a stroker i think you would be fine with the same as what ive got currently.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Several years ago, I ran propane in a small block Chevy that I'd built. The engine had a static compression ratio of 12:1, yet a salesman at Competition Cams convinced me that I needed a compression building cam (one of their "Extreme Energy" grinds). When I first fired that engine up, it sounded like a diesel!

My actual compression pressure turned out to be something ridiculous like 250 psi! That engine would PING on 110 octane propane during warm weather--so make sure you calculate your compression pressure accurately! It's more important than the static ratio.

mikej83

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well, you guys answered alot of the questions i have:headbang: i guess im mainly loookin for the typical propane vs gasoline crap, just wanted to know torquewise how a built-for-propane-only motor would perform vs say a stock or midly warmed up small block on gas. see if it was worth it money wise, ect.i love the idea of having something different, especially when a propane motor is so much cleaner...but if its gonna be the same output for more money, i'll probably just keep with gas. And, i was just seeing what combos work, whats been tried and found to work. Thanks for all the help guys:icon_cheers:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well, you guys answered alot of the questions i have:headbang: i guess im mainly loookin for the typical propane vs gasoline crap, just wanted to know torquewise how a built-for-propane-only motor would perform vs say a stock or midly warmed up small block on gas.
If you build it right, it will perform as well, or even better. 106 octane gives you a bit of room to play!

especially when a propane motor is so much cleaner...
Not true. It might have been true in the '70s, but not anymore. Computerized fuel injection changed everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals