• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck got wrecked

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
My wife had some bad luck today:

Ouch... My wife is OK at least (Praise the Lord!)

I haven't seen it in person (it's moored up at my parents' house an hour away), but from the pics I'm not sure if it's salvageable or not. On one hand, the bumper looks to have mostly survived, limiting damage to the clip and fender area. On the other hand, the engine bay frame looks like it may have crumpled and I do see a cab mount washer on the ground in the second picture. Here's the condition it was in before the wreck (I happen to have a picture on file, go figure):

The air bag did deploy, although the last time I wrecked it did and all I had to do was repair a sensor bracket and get a new bag for $20 at pull a part. Yay primitive air bag controllers...

If it's mostly bolt on stuff, I'll fix it up (as you can see, most of the damage was to already replaced crap that I was going to replace again eventually). However, if not, I may be looking for another similar long bed ranger to move parts/upgrades to...

I drenched myself in cold rainwater doing a starter swap in a walmart lot only for this to happen the next day... :annoyed: Not to mention my wife's car is likely a goner (rusty Tempo with a likely dead tranny). My luck sucks with vehicles it seems.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ouch, that hurts.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Looks fixable...good to hear your wife was not hurt...:icon_thumby:

I've been through similar experiences with vehicles so it's not just you...:) Also had a Tempo rust out on me after only 14 years of being tormented by salt wounds and nasty chemicals...and over 400,000 kms...still ran like a top though...

The floor pans can be replaced on them...as long as the structure is not compromised...but it might cost more than it's worth if the transmission is shot...I blew the clutch on my 89 Tempo (loved that car) and that was the deciding factor because I was struggling to put my Ranger on the road at the same time...

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Looks fixable...good to hear your wife was not hurt...:icon_thumby:

I've been through similar experiences with vehicles so it's not just you...:) Also had a Tempo rust out on me after only 14 years of being tormented by salt wounds and nasty chemicals...and over 400,000 kms...still ran like a top though...

The floor pans can be replaced on them...as long as the structure is not compromised...but it might cost more than it's worth if the transmission is shot...I blew the clutch on my 89 Tempo (loved that car) and that was the deciding factor because I was struggling to put my Ranger on the road at the same time...
Talking with my best friend (who owned said tempo for 7 years), he thinks it might be a neutral safety switch issue. If it is, I'll fix it.

The truck will wait until tomorrow as I'm too busy today. Work has been very busy today...

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
She's toast. Major cab damage, engine was hit (accesories all over the place).

Looking for another 1995+ long bed one to move my parts over to... not many out there it seems, most of the ones are 4 bangers with sticks (wife can't drive stick, I probably could but never have actually done it in person).

I did see this https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5942203190.html

if I get a reply, I'll take a look.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ouch man

Good luck with a replacement!

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The 2.5 is better than the 2.3 with a bit more bottom end grunt...and good gas mileage. But many claim the V6 is just as good on the fuel with power to spare...

I drove a 2.3 for 14 years and only found the lack of power annoying when driving on busy highways...fortunately I lived in the North away from most of the congestion areas so it wasn't much of a problem.

If you like to move fast onto the highway...consider a V6 instead

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 96 and up 2.3/2.5 engines are actually quite preppy

I used one to drag a full size 95 f150 on a tow dolly from Connecticut to long island. Engine pulled it fine with a 5 speed behind it.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Ummm.......

What did she hit?

Looks to be light damage above the bumper......hood, fender, header panel, headlight, marker light, possibly hood hinge repair or replace, and maybe a radiator support which is what the mount washer you see is, probably sheered it when wrecked. All the listed above can be done in a driveway in a day after getting parts:icon_thumby:. Been there, done that on a 96 I bought that way.

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
?????

She's toast. Major cab damage, engine was hit (accesories all over the place)
=================
Pics please, as the first post doesn't show any kinda impact damage to of done such, other than the possibility the the motor mounts broke on impact & the motor went forward into the radiator?

Major cab damage???:icon_confused:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
=================
Pics please, as the first post doesn't show any kinda impact damage to of done such, other than the possibility the the motor mounts broke on impact & the motor went forward into the radiator?

Major cab damage???:icon_confused:
I will when I get home. In short the whole front of the cab (radiator support) got mashed in to the point of curling a cab mount. Radiator and condensor toast. Front of the motor buried in the fan shroud. Air box came out in chunks.

Fixable if one was determined enough and had a frame puller and tons of time skill... And a parts truck. I have none.

chvlfrk

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
Food For Thought>>>

This was a 95 I bought & fixed:

BEFORE:

AFTER new radiator support & bushings:

When sold:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
ouch... doesn't look too horrible tho... the inner fender structure is what I would be worried about. Might be a weekend job, but I would say it is salvageable.

the good thing is that your wife was not hurt.

AJ

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
What did she hit?

Looks to be light damage above the bumper......hood, fender, header panel, headlight, marker light, possibly hood hinge repair or replace, and maybe a radiator support which is what the mount washer you see is, probably sheered it when wrecked. All the listed above can be done in a driveway in a day after getting parts:icon_thumby:. Been there, done that on a 96 I bought that way.
She hit a Rav4 with a custom bumper (read: no crumple zone).

More pics:

The sides of the engine compartment were also badly bent. Also, the hit from the airbag was enough to cause the back of the seat to break the rear window. Yeah for a lot of you it's a weekend job, but body work has never been my cup of tea. If it can't be fixed properly with a hammer and harbor freight welder, I can't right now. Not to mention the cost of body parts, rear glass replacement, and busted things in the engine compartment add up. Not to mention the engine didn't turn over when I tried to start it... uh oh?

----

more possibilities:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5927520380.html

kinda fuzzy but it is a long bed at least.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/ctd/5948680429.html

Nice but pricey since it' a dealer (and I doubt I can talk it down low enough). Has power windows and mirrors, which I like as my research seems to indicate that no rangers were prewired for power doors if they weren't power to begin with, not even XLT's (and the one I plan to see tomorrow has manual mirrors and likely manual windows, possibly locks too (yay no fob and locking myself out again :annoyed: ). Yeah it can be added with custom wiring, but I'm not into custom wiring stock options... if I'm custom wiring things (and believe me, I have/will, plenty of wire removed today to show it), it's going to be non-stock items (CB radio, HID headlights, backup camera, etc.)

Now if I could only find one with factory power doors, a long bed, and preferably an automatic for under $3000... Yeah good luck. My '95 was a rare bird it seems.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals