• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 engine swap Help!!

Grant.tyler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 85 bronco ii will the original 2.8l and 4 spead with overdrive. The motor is real rough and I want to do an engine swap. I found 2 ford inline 6 4.9l motors is what I think they are. I think there in good condition.. How hard would it be to do this swap?? Would it bolt up to my tranny?? Or could I use to tranny and engine out of donor truck... They are a 89 f-150 an 87 f-150 motors seem to be good.. This truck has been in family sense it was new and i want to bring it back to life and thanks for all your comments.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Generally speaking the 4.9 is not a worthwhile engine swap into an RBV. The engine is a much longer than most and doesn't fit the engine bay very well. It's a 42" engine and a 44.5" engine bay. It is a very tight fit, that doesn't even leave much room for minor unimportant things like fans and radiators. It also doesn't produce the power or fuel economy of other engines like the 4.0 or 5.0.

As for your transmission fitment question, do you also walk through the apple orchard looking for oranges on the trees?

As for your edit for misspellings, you still have words that are spelled wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
agreed. the 4.0 swap is easier and fits right in. and will bolt up to the trans.

i just did a 4.0 swap in my 86 b2 along with the dash and column. wiring wasn't fun but wasn't hard either most wires were color match. i also did a 5 speed. tk5 trans out of an 85 b2 and has the 83 b2 4 speed shifter. not the best but has handled the 4.0 very well. lol my drive line and diff have suffered pretty bad. those would have to be swapped as well if you are going to put a larger motor in it.

Grant.tyler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the comments. Should the 4.0 be out of an early 90's model ranger or Explorer?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thank you for the comments. Should the 4.0 be out of an early 90's model ranger or Explorer?
Yes. Good 4.0's are easily found in Explorers with Automatics, as usually the transmission will go out and people will send the Explorer to a junkyard or sell it on Craigslist. Getting the entire vehicle will make the swap easier; you'll have the harness, computer, fuel lines, etc. :icon_thumby:

Click on the following link. There are tech articles on doing a 4.0 swap.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

Grant.tyler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you this has helped alot

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes. Good 4.0's are easily found in Explorers with Automatics, as usually the transmission will go out and people will send the Explorer to a junkyard or sell it on Craigslist. Getting the entire vehicle will make the swap easier; you'll have the harness, computer, fuel lines, etc. :icon_thumby:

Click on the following link. There are tech articles on doing a 4.0 swap.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml
And when you are done, throw the 2.8 in the back and you really didn't hurt its scrap value. :icon_thumby:

You will still need the fuel tank, pumps/wiring and lines from a fuel injected (86+) BII though.

Grant.tyler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you say the wiring out of an 86+. I need to get the whole wiring harness and everything and that will work with the 4.0? Engine that I'm putting in it

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
When you say the wiring out of an 86+. I need to get the whole wiring harness and everything and that will work with the 4.0? Engine that I'm putting in it
You'll need the '86+ Bronco II tank, fuel pump, fuel pump harness and fuel lines because your '85 is carbureted and the current setup won't work. The fuel pump wiring runs along the drivers side of the fame. I recommend you go with an '89-90 fuel pump, as there is only the one in the tank. The '86-'88 trucks used two pumps; one in the tank and one on the frame. Good luck. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals