• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I've had it with the clutch!

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
God is great, beer is good, and rangers are awesome!
Truck info if needed: 1998 4.0 ohv, 4x4, 190,000 miles

I'm having this problem, and had it since I bought it, but my foot and arm is saying no more! It will sometimes, well when it's cold, not go into gear, I know I know, there's posts like crazy about it, but mine is a little different. Maybe there actually is a post about this exact issue but I'm too lazy to try and find it lol.

Anywho, when the tranny is cold it refuses to go in gear, any gear. Eventually it will go in, and all is peachy, but there are times, especially at stoplights when they turn green going to work, that I would have to turn the dang thing off, put it in gear, start it up and then finally take off. Every gear is hard, or harder than it should be, to go in, moving or stopped. Also, it will make a squealing noise when idling in the winter time, which I'm sure is the throwout, and sometimes makes the same noise when taking off from a stop, letting off the clutch. And all that happens more than it should. But when it's all warmed up, it's fine and good, except, very seldomly, it won't go OUT of gear. It never really done that until about 15,000 miles ago.

So, about 21,000 miles ago, I took it to the shop to replace everything clutch related except the pedal itself (at least that works). When it's all done, the dude that 'fixed' it told me, all he did was bleed the clutch, change tranny fluid, and greased the throwout, and told me everything looked okay, and drove okay, assuming he took a 'test drive' knowing it was probably a joy ride especially when I took my dodge dakota with a hemi to him to get new spark plugs it came back with a little less rubber. If your asking, no I don't ever go to this mechanic anymore, I do it all myself now. But anywho, when I pulled out of the lot, I heard the throw out squeal, everything felt the same...

So if y'all have a solution, I'd be happy to hear it, and suggestions on good quality parts!
Tia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG S6 using Crapatalk

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my pilot bearing went out a few weeks ago, and this was what was happening, after i pulled the transmission i could see where one of the bearings was missing.

sounds to me like its never been replaced, it only cost a few bucks.. generally ive found that you can double clutch, with a throwout bearing that is on its way out.

also, if you do replace the clutch components, try and get iether, luk or sach's parts...

Last edited:

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
my pilot bearing went out a few weeks ago, and this was what was happening, after i pulled the transmission i could see where one of the bearings was missing.

sounds to me like its never been replaced, it only cost a few bucks.. generally ive found that you can double clutch, with a throwout bearing that is on its way out.

also, if you do replace the clutch components, try and get iether, luk or sach's parts...
Yep, everything down there is all original as far as I know, I'll check into the pilot bearing.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, everything down there is all original as far as I know, I'll check into the pilot bearing.

one thing to note is that the pilot bearing on these trucks is inside the flywheel, not the crankshaft.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
one thing to note is that the pilot bearing on these trucks is inside the flywheel, not the crankshaft.
Done a little research and didn't come up with too much, I don't see how the pilot bearing could cause my symptoms though.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Done a little research and didn't come up with too much, I don't see how the pilot bearing could cause my symptoms though.

one of the 2 is bad, and the pilot is cheap, and easy to replace. if the trannys out i would replace it. (i forgot last time, i regret that mistake.)

i know the pilot generally makes noise while warming up, in neutral. and the throwout when you actually use the clutch. in my case, i only heard it a few times, and then i just couldnt shift at all. i had to shut off the truck, put it in gear and start it, then shift using the rpm's.

"The pilot bearing/bushing supports and centers the transmission input shaft and clutch disc. When the clutch is disengaged, the pilot bearing/bushing allows the flywheel to maintain engine RPM while the input shaft is slowing down and stopping"

good luck.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Started it up first time today and went and got gas, I was stuck at the pump for a good 45 seconds trying to get it in gear. I could feel through the stick that it was still spinning in there like the clutch is still slightly engaged.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How long has it been since you changed the fluid?

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Whenever I got it bled, forgot to mention that, the dude changed out the clutch fluid

MrGiggles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The release (throwout) bearing will drag, squeal, and nearly stall the engine before it starts to make the trans hard to shift.

The pilot bearing only spins with the truck stopped, the clutch depressed, and the trans in gear. If it is starting to seize up, it will not go into gear just as you describe.

The master cylinder could be leaking down too. Try pumping the clutch next time it acts up. If that helps, and you're not losing any fluid, the master cylinder is the culprit.

Ranger4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well, I never loose any fluid, I check it every time the hood is up. And I have pumped the clutch, dumped it and helped a little but still hard to get in.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Time to get serious and quit talking. You got bad parts in that there bell housing. If it is the pilot bearing, the longer it goes the more chance you will screw up the transmission's input shaft.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I would try a proper bleed of the slave.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just to save you a few bucks, LUK clutch kits come with pilot bearings. Replace everything while you're in there. Got my kit for 85 or so from Rock Auto. Pre-bled master/slave kit was about the same. Worth it, imo.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds to me your clutch is no longer good. take it apart a d install a new clutch kit. if its not going into gear as soon as you push the pedal the clutch isnt doing its job. its slipping pretty bad. the pressure plate, throw out and clutch plate are worn out.

ive replaced enough clutch kits in my life to know this with out seeing it first hand.

save yourself the hassle of figuring it out. replace it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals