• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 tail lights in 92 box...or something

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hi all,

I had swapped out the wiring and everything for my first gen (1988) onto a 96 frame and still haven't finished the lights for the back end. I was actually thinking of putting a 96 box on the frame and maybe some day a 96 or 97 cab...some day...

For now I am looking at the lights for the 92 and, as you would know, they are two bulb lights...turn/brake in one and reverse bulb in the lower. The 96 harness is three bulb and I wanted to figure out how to do that...essentially turning the top socket into a brake/tail light connection (I still have the old sockets from the (1988) that I could wire in if need be...

Just a matter of the "how to" do it...

Anyone done this before?

TIA for any and all information...:icon_thumby:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not quite sure if I'm clear which it is exactly you are asking...

If it's how to wire three-bulb tails onto a truck that was originally wired for two-bulb tails, I believe you need to change the multifunction switch on your steering column, then wire in the tail light harness from the '96 (or maybe a harness from a '93-'94 would actually work easier).

If you're just looking to use two-bulb tails on a '96 bed, then all you need are the two-bulb tail light housings from any '00-'11 truck.
I know there were a few different OEM designs over these years you can pick from too... reverse light on bottom, up top, or sortof in the middle, maybe others too, I forget exactly what all variations there were).

Hopefully that answers your Q. If not, post up some addl info and I'll try to help.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I guess it wasn't as clear as I thought.

I have a 92 box on a 96 frame and using the 96 wiring for the tail lights. The 92 tail light is a two bulb affair while the 96 wiring has three actual bulbs. I was wondering how to make use of the 92 tail light lenses with the two bulb arrangement and hacking the 96 wiring harness and wiring it so that they run the two bulbs.

My other option would be to simply use the brake and reverse lights in the 92 lenses and then wire a set of turn signal bulbs to the outside of that...either on the rear bumper or on top of the box somehow...

I'd prefer to modify them to work inside the lenses if possible.

I hope that is a clearer explanation...:)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Gotcha now.

Maybe a trailer light converter/adapter that converts each side's separate turn & brake lights to a single bulb might work?

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48915-Tail-Light-Converter/dp/B0002Q81XA

They used to make these that just plug directly into the wiring harness, but I guess they must've discontinued the one like I have on mine. :sad:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...maybe...thanks! I did use something similar to rewire my distributor a few years ago. That was just a straight connector replacement though and didn't require me to actually think of how to work more wires into the equation.

I will need to check the bulbs and sockets that go into the 92 lenses. They are the 3 prong type (how they fit into the back of the housing or lens) and see how many wires are on the socket. If there are three wires (which I'm pretty sure there must be) then it might work with just a simple wire connect like when you hook two house lights in series...the first one has the wires for the second one tied in...if that makes sense.

What I was thinking would work was to take the 96 socket off the harness so the wires can be stripped and then simply wire the appropriate ground/power/neutral or whatever to the corresponding wires on the 88 sockets...except I can't seem to locate the sockets as of yet since I was actually planning on using the ones from the 96 initially and not the 92 (or 88 for that matter).

When I finally realized that I messed up somewhere along the line I was only just coming out of a rather dense drug induced fog...still a bit cloudy so my mind isn't really at WOT yet...still dealing with WTF's...lol

I'm pretty sure I can still by the bulb sockets so I might check with the LMC catalog first...

This page from LMC shows the 91-92 sockets and I think my secondary plan would work...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=140

That is to splice all the older sockets into the newer wiring harness.

If not...I will look into the trailer step down...or maybe consider my original idea of putting the backups on the rear bumper, the signal into the old backup slot (and paint the clear part orange or get an orange bulb).

thank you for the input...it has helped but the big problem with all this is I actually need some dry weather to go out and start putting things together...

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
...or maybe consider my original idea of putting the backups on the rear bumper, the signal into the old backup slot (and paint the clear part orange or get an orange bulb).
I'd definitely use an amber bulb over trying to paint the lens... A problem with putting the turn signal in the backup lamp position though is the signal won't be very visible from off to the side unless you can figure a way to extend the clear part of the lens over to the side somehow (probably more work than it's work unless maybe you're after a certain aesthetic... I do think amber blinkers are much more visible than ones that are shared with the brake light).

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was going to call the parts store today to see about ordering the 92 connectors. Everything in Canada is about 30% more just from the exchange rate...

I bought a set of performance bushings for my leaf springs that cost $48 in the US...by the time they added shipping, taxes, and exchange the set was $100...and I only actually needed the bushing for the driver side front that would normally only cost $10 or so...:annoyed:

Ah, well, trying to sell the old set of bushings with one missing...and nobody wants a set with one missing...lol

EDIT:

I just ordered a set of 3 wire pigtails as they are only $15 each...the sockets are actually $16 each so a simple light swap would or could cost me $60 plus plus plus...

I am going to start with the 3 wire pigtail and try to splice the two sockets into one using the upper socket...if that works...and I'm pretty sure it will...I can post a diagram or something showing how it's done...

Someone else asked this question a while ago and I didn't really follow to see if they found a solution...

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Good luck on it. Let us know what you come up with. :icon_thumby:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
We put amber bulbs in the reverse light sockets and wired that pig tail to the turn signal on the B2 project....same deal you have, I used a complete 93-94 Ranger harness when we 4.0 swapped the Bronco.

On my 95 Ranger I wanted to go to the two bulb setup, so I used a 5 wire to 4 wire trailer adapter (basically just a diode block) and then I had to put resistors where the original sockets were to keep the turn signal from blinking fast

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good luck on it. Let us know what you come up with. :icon_thumby:
Will do...thanks!

We put amber bulbs in the reverse light sockets and wired that pig tail to the turn signal on the B2 project....same deal you have, I used a complete 93-94 Ranger harness when we 4.0 swapped the Bronco.

On my 95 Ranger I wanted to go to the two bulb setup, so I used a 5 wire to 4 wire trailer adapter (basically just a diode block) and then I had to put resistors where the original sockets were to keep the turn signal from blinking fast
This sounds like what 4x4junkie suggested...do you happen to have or know of a wiring diagram for this type of mod?

I had, at one time, some fairly nice software that would allow me to create documents and diagrams but have long since lost it and didn't need it...but it would be nice. Paint can do it but I might end up just taking pictures of my attempt here with the pigtails...

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I made a diagram and posted it in my Ranger build thread years ago. Ill see if I can dig it up

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good, I'd appreciate it...thank you!

I did order the pigtails to do the "merge" and they are in now but I need to go pick them up...having a bit of a cold snap with rain so plans have been altered...:)

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK, so I tried to just hot wire things in and discovered it wouldn't work as I thought...lol

I did find another step by step similar to what your diagram entails PlumCrazy but I think I am going to do what I had planned originally and just use the amber bulb with the reverse socket and put the backup lights on the rear bumper (when I get one).

There came up another option that I considered briefly...since I happen to have two sets of rear lenses both with the two bulb setup...

That entails cutting out the backup section of one set and simply gluing it in the space between the lower and upper bulb. I measured this up and it will work with only minor alterations needed to the "good" set of lenses. That being cutting out the reflective section on and gluing on another clear lens and using the amber blulb there...or a red section using the stock bulb...I like the clear/amber idea though...

I will get some pics to demonstrate this but I really don't want to do it and ruin two good lenses...since they are getting very hard to find...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals