• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!!! No Turn Signals

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi fellow Ford friends,

My 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4wd 5 speed 97,000 miles (Warn hubs) suddenly has no turn signals, yet the 10amp fuse is good, as is the windshield wipers, delay funtion and all.

I spoke to a Ford dealer earlier today and they mentioned something about a faulty multi-function switch in the steering collum, which is a bit expensive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much in advance,

Carl

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
Hi fellow Ford friends,

My 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4wd 5 speed 97,000 miles (Warn hubs) suddenly has no turn signals, yet the 10amp fuse is good, as is the windshield wipers, delay funtion and all.

I spoke to a Ford dealer earlier today and they mentioned something about a faulty multi-function switch in the steering collum, which is a bit expensive.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much in advance,

Carl
multi function switch aka turn signal switch is probably about $175 new or check the salvage yards they only take about 15 minutes to change

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The multifunction switch is a prime suspect. At least it is easy to get to, and if you remove the steering column trim peices you can run some tests to better confirm that it's faulty before you remove and replace it. If you do replace it with a used one, check it carefully. The low/hi beam headlight function is another weak area in these things. Good luck!

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies fellers. Before I could view your responses, I haggled down a multi-function switch from a local salvage yard for $50 from $75. The Ford dealer wanter over $100!
Makes a guy feel pretty good when he can fix something himself and save a few bucks. I'll be back.

Thanks again!

Carl

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Good for you! Let us know how it turns out.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
any time i have ever had a probem with blinkers it has been the blinker canister (small silver round thing probably on the fuse block) which can be replaced for under $5, thats what i would check first

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
any time i have ever had a probem with blinkers it has been the blinker canister (small silver round thing probably on the fuse block) which can be replaced for under $5, thats what i would check first
X 2...I had that problem in my old 87....

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry about that fellers ,..I guess I didn't make myself clear in my last post below in quotes.
I changed out the multi-funtion switch yesterday afternoon with the one purchased for 50 bucks. It's working like a champ again. Actually, even better. Now the windshield washer works better too. :)

- - - - -- - - - -- - -- --- - ---- - ---
"Thanks for the replies fellers. Before I could view your responses, I haggled down a multi-function switch from a local salvage yard for $50 from $75. The Ford dealer wanter over $100!
Makes a guy feel pretty good when he can fix something himself and save a few bucks. I'll be back."

Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals