• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Losing fuel pressure

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Each of the last few times fueling up my truck I had ALOT of back pressure when I removed the vent cap. Each time I release the cap and fuel up, I go about a half mile and the truck shuts down as if my fuel pump shut off.
I can hear the pump running louder as if it has lost prime. After she sits about 10-15 minutes I can hear the pump prime and I'm good to go.
I'm leaning toward either the vent tube is clogged or obstructed in some way or maybe the evap canister is clogged.
It's not an electrical issue because the pump continues to run and this only happens after the pressure is released from the tank. (Positive pressure.. not vacuum)

Any Ideas other than that?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you can fill it normally it isn't the vent tube.

I think I would suspect an issue with the pump itself, but that is just a guess.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The vent tube runs next to the filler tube, it is just for filling the tank with fuel, allows the air out as fuel goes in.

Yes, fuel pump should have a check valve that prevents fuel from draining back into the tank when engine is off, that check valve maintains the 30psi fuel pressure at the rail along with the Fuel pressure regulator(FPR) located on the return line on the rail.

If the check valve isn't working then when you release the tanks positive pressure by removing the gas cap, the fuel in the rail can drain back, lowering pressure in the rail, causing a stall out after start up.
Same type of thing could happen if the FPR was leaking pressure.

Positive pressure in the tank can come from warm weather, not sure if the '91 Ranger tank used a high pressure vent cap or not.

But the EVAP system should be sucking out some of that pressure, via engine vacuum so yes, maybe you have a stuck EVAP solenoid or clogged canister, both are pretty easy to check.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Next time it happens, open the gas cap

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Next time it happens, open the gas cap
that's exactly what i was thinking. is the fuel pump pulling a vacuum on the tank when it's full and there's a small amount of airspace?

had something similar happen with a lawnmower once. older guy had lost the gas cap and just grabbed some random plastic cap that fit. it sealed off the tank when it should have been vented. it would only run for a few minutes then stall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals