• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benz om617

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I think I'm gonna get one from a jeep dana 30 and put perches on it and just make up some leaf packs. Fabrication doesn't scare me. If I can I may make a new engine cross member or majorly modify the factory one to stick the motor back farther.. my issue with the last one was the front end was overly heavy due to the low sump but if I also get farther back motor room for electric fan and bigger rad

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm gonna get one from a jeep dana 30 and put perches on it and just make up some leaf packs. Fabrication doesn't scare me. If I can I may make a new engine cross member or majorly modify the factory one to stick the motor back farther.. my issue with the last one was the front end was overly heavy due to the low sump but if I also get farther back motor room for electric fan and bigger rad
jeep dana 30 is a step backwards from the dana 35 ttb? why not just put soem fullsize coils into the towers and stick with the coils and TTB 35? dana 30 ok solid axle simplicity but to switch to leafs on it:dunno:.

leafs over coils is for a powerstroke conversion , not a little MB diesel swap.

it is your money/time, fabrication is fine but misguided>misdirected work is wastefull. :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
jeep dana 30 is a step backwards from the dana 35 ttb? why not just put soem fullsize coils into the towers and stick with the coils and TTB 35? dana 30 ok solid axle simplicity but to switch to leafs on it:dunno:.

it is your money/time, fabrication is fine but misguided>misdirected work is wastefull. :icon_confused:
Ditching the huge engine crossmember that is required to hold the TTB together is far from unheard of with more intensive engine swaps.

FWIW you can get solid front axle swap kits from places like Duff, I would at least stay with coils.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

this is a situation where that is not necessarily the case.

not sure where you live, and your end goals this time.

going to a dana 30 and custom k member and maybe fire wall mods can dial this in to an incredible capacity. these engines do pretty well all around as you learned the first time..so its only sensible to take all of your thoughts from then to perfect any previous percieved issues now..

i have run across a few groups of jeeps/cruisers with diesel swaps the last few years touring through appalachia.... and the cummins and benz are the most common. 23-28 mpg seems to be the real world economy as well on 33-37 in tires.. there were several rangers as well with the cummins and running high 20's for mpg.

my n/a 6.2 runs against em to 45 or so real easy...but i average 16-17 mpg with 37 in tires and 410 gears with the 4l80 and foot on the floor.

with 33 in tires and 55 mph 20-23 is normal cruise mpg.

being able to run on used motor and trans oil mix....is a nice option...

i would tend to go with coils and a hp xj donor axle myself with a ttb chassis, but there isnt anything wrong with leafs for this situation either.

my truck is still on leafs...and not in ideal balance either and remains so because it works fine and is tolerable. i can see yours going to ideal easily because you can keep it near or at stock 4x4 ride height easily with the system you are planning to use. you can even go lower then stock..

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I like lower as it is the body roll I was getting running full size spring in the truck before snapping off sway bar brackets... the Mercedes is a fairly heavy motor which causes a lot of issues I would like a dana 44 out of a newer jeep but toys don't get priority for cash... but as it were the truck i was going to get turn out to be a horror show guy had welded a flat deck to it and looked hideous and required full frame inspection to get registered I had to walk... and then I came across a 83 c20 crew 6.2 with a banks turbo kit on it for a bit more money but fairly clean truck so going to tackle it first power train is still sitting waiting for me if I come across a old jeep with no heart in it I may end up going that route for simplicity but still have my heart set on aonther 91 ranger sentimental value. But hey if anyone has 6.2 diesel tips pm me I'd love to get any advice i can

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I like lower as it is the body roll I was getting running full size spring in the truck before snapping off sway bar brackets... the Mercedes is a fairly heavy motor which causes a lot of issues I would like a dana 44 out of a newer jeep but toys don't get priority for cash... but as it were the truck i was going to get turn out to be a horror show guy had welded a flat deck to it and looked hideous and required full frame inspection to get registered I had to walk... and then I came across a 83 c20 crew 6.2 with a banks turbo kit on it for a bit more money but fairly clean truck so going to tackle it first power train is still sitting waiting for me if I come across a old jeep with no heart in it I may end up going that route for simplicity but still have my heart set on aonther 91 ranger sentimental value. But hey if anyone has 6.2 diesel tips pm me I'd love to get any advice i can
advice: take off the banks turbo! 6.2 has enough crankshaft issues without turbo pressure thrown into the mix. pulled a lot of 6.2s out of trucks still running with broken cranks back in the late 80s and early 90s. GM dealer didn't want to deal with the issue so we did a lot of gas swaps on our customers fleets. :icon_thumby: the 6.2 made us a lot of money:icon_rofl:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well the classified's have treated me wrong yet again the truck was a total train wreck guy was super odd and just lied about everything even the pictures he sent me were from 4 years prior to sitting in a field... so back on the Ranger hunt for now if anyone knows of a good body and frame in Saskatchewan canada I want one box isnt a deal bresker just want a fairly solid cab

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have my eye on a 80s 300D N/A sedan as the price keeps coming down, getting close to my engine/parts price but isn't there yet. My wife says I'm nuts:icon_rofl: keep checking the ad:popcorn:

driven a long way and wasted alot of fuel finding old diesels. but hey hobbies aren't free:dunno:

keep watching...................................:beer:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well while driving home from the city I seen two Rangers in a field 83 and 84 I popped in to ask about them friendly old guy said everything's for sale at the right price but those Rangers if I want one i woul have to take both.. catch is he never registered them kinda just inherited themthem from someone who left them there who was going to use his shop. So before I buy them I have to go to the insurance place and see if I can register them with only a bill of sale as in sask we have antique after 30 years it may be possible if thats the case they are mine fingers crossed I'll be hauling them home on Saturday

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know in Ontario you can register just about anything if you have the vin and bill of sale and get a affidavit. Done that twice, no troubles at all. Just need to be 100% sure its not hot or anything like that.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well it's been sitting there for years old guy said if I prove can't prove it can be safety ed it's getting crushed but Saskatchewan is the sketchest place for vehicles

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
So registration says it's possible but he has to declare ownership to the province first. Which he said he will tryto do early next week. I'm just hoping now that it actually happens the waiting is killing me I just wanna dig in to a ranger project!

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
So registration says it's possible but he has to declare ownership to the province first. Which he said he will tryto do early next week. I'm just hoping now that it actually happens the waiting is killing me I just wanna dig in to a ranger project!
this is going to be a LONGGGGG weekend:D

sounds like its heading in your direction anyway. :beer:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Well the 84 is out I could register it but never technically own the truck but since that I have been searching found and purchased minus pick up (tomorrow night) and rest of cash a vehicle I not sure if I'll be allowed to do a write up on here as it's not exactly a ranger

Screenshot_2017-04-24-22-25-28.png

1973 ford courier running and driving fairly soIid body going to get some ranger parts in it

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
It's in my yard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals