• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Photos of Lifted RBV's With Different Lift & Tire Sizes

02Fx4red

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
02 fx4 twin stick

3" summit body lift,
Torsion bar crank, expo leafs with add a leaf and lift shackles,
Factory 2.5" block removed.
35x12.5r15 MTZs on 15x10 ion alloys with 4" backspacing

1RangerNut

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
89 B2, 4" rough country, 31-10.50-15 on stock rims

Rear at 4", front probably around 6", 285-75-16 BFG at's, stock ranger rims

4" all around, same 285's

4", 33-12.50-15 Mudstar mt's, on 15x7 rims.

4", 36-12.50-15 TSL's, stock rims

Same as above but 15x7 rims

Same as above but front flare cut off and some trimming on rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

88'long'bed'mex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Enviado desde mi RAZR HD mediante Tapatalk

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
99 XLT 31" BFG A/T 4x4 5spd all stock, in works of front brushgaurd.

spiff-d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
33X12.50R15
Here's my 2009 Sport 4x4 on 15x10 Diamond Racing Wheels, wearing 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers. Belltech shackles in the back and prekey mod in the front.

Attachments

DC

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 for now
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31s
My credo
if it aint broke dont fix it if it is broke upgrade
1987 ford ranger 3" bl 6 inch suspension with 37/12.50r20 tires

Attachments

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1989 Ranger, 31x10.50 on 15x8 wheels, Explorer springs rear, 1" Coil spacers front, no body lift

Same Ranger, 33x12.50, 15x8 wheels, Explorer springs plus Belkin shackles in rear, Skyjacker 6" lift in front, no body lift.

Really wish I could see what these look like. I have a ’92 with stock 15x7 steelies, which I hate. Never really thought I’d be able to get 31s on her just by swapping for rear Explorer springs and some 1” coil spacers. Gotta replace my tires (all kinds of tread, but dry rotted) and wouldn’t mind picking up a used combo that’s a little more fatty...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Really wish I could see what these look like. I have a ’92 with stock 15x7 steelies, which I hate. Never really thought I’d be able to get 31s on her just by swapping for rear Explorer springs and some 1” coil spacers. Gotta replace my tires (all kinds of tread, but dry rotted) and wouldn’t mind picking up a used combo that’s a little more fatty...
Here's my truck with spacers, explorer leaf springs and 31x10.50 tires on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspacing

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
94 B4000 4x4. Stock suspension, 16" wheels from 05 Ranger, 265/75-16 tires (31.6" diameter)

No rubbing.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is a quick tutorial on using later style wheels on early trucks.

A quick background. Early trucks that use the manual or auto locking hubs need the centerbore big enough to let the hubs pass through. Later trucks don't have the big hub, so their center bore has a lip in it to hold a more traditional plastic center cap. In order to use late wheels on an early truck, that lip must be removed.

A photo of the center bore on the 94 wheel

A photo of the later (05) ranger wheel

Notice that the later wheel has a significant lip that reduces the diameter. This lip needs to be enlarged to about 2.75" (70mm approx.) I knew I could likely tackle it with a die grinder and an afternoon, but I called a few machine shops just in case I found one that would do it affordably. Instead what I found was that all three shops refused to touch them due to liability.

My first idea was to get a 2.75" bimetal hole saw and clamp the wheel on my drill press plate. I nixed this idea for two reasons; 1) I figured it would be difficult to prevent chatter, and 2) I had no real means of making sure it was centered. If you don't get it dead center, there will be difficulty balancing the finished assembly since most tire balancers use a tapered die on the outside.

For this same reason I decided against a die grinder. It would be easy to get the clearance I needed, but difficult to remove precise amounts of aluminum and make sure the hole was centered.

So, out came the router and a carbide flush cut bit. Carbide is important since it is much harder. Using a cheap bit you will likely get about an inch into cutting and it will just stop, get hot, and start chattering.

Warning: strong suggestion to use ear, eye, and hand protection. You're making millions of razor-sharp fragments of aluminum at 18,000 rpms. I still have a sliver in my left thumb. If you're not down with earmuffs, I found that a blanket wrapped around the wheel with a rope or ratchet strap keeps the "singing" to a minimum.

Step 1: Since the ridge we're removing is about 3/4" deep in the hole, I selected a 3/8" diameter x 1" long flush cut bit. Take the 3/8" guide bearing off and install a 1/2" bearing in its place. This will leave a 1/8" of material and (at least on my 05 Ranger wheels) left me with 2.726" (69.2mm) of ID which is perfect for the hub to fit. It also helps to use a scotch brite or wire wheel inside the bore below that ridge. Mine had years of crusty stuff in there and doing this step helps give the bearing a smooth circumference to guide the bit.

Step 2: Use lube (that's what she said). WD40 works well on aluminum, but my can of WD chose to be empty that day. Instead I used some cutting oil and put it around the lip of the hub bore.

Step 3: Start cutting. Keep in mind you are using a high-rpm machine on a much harder material than the wood it is supposed to be cutting. Be nice to it. Make multiple passes taking small amounts of material. Hold on tight, but I think you'll find that it's not much different than routing oak or bamboo. Tip.... keep a D/A or palm sander handy with some 60 grit on it. When you cut the aluminum, it leaves burrs at the lip making it hard to keep a smooth motion of the router. The plate on the router gets caught on the burrs. Pause occasionally to sand those burrs off.

Step 4: This is important. Check your guide bearing frequently. Mine decided to disintegrate and fall off but fortunately I noticed it before I went too far. Also important... I had trouble with the collet coming loose after a few cuts. I think the additional vibrations caused this, because that isn't something that usually happens with my router.

Finished cut

Step 5: If you want, you can stuff the factory rear center caps in the hole you just made, but in my opinion they don't look right. Instead I went to Amazon and searched for "75mm wheel center caps." It turned up a few hundred options of caps with an overall diameter of 75mm and a snap ring diameter of 70mm. Once they get here, I'll probably do one more cut on the wheels which I'll explain further. The depth of the 1/8" lip I left behind is 3/4" deep into the bore. The retainer clips on the center caps I got aren't that deep. After I measure how deep the clips are, I'll put the 3/8" guide bearing on the 3/8" flush cut bit and lower the bit further in the bore to increase the I.D. and leave a lip at the very outside that corresponds to the length of the clips. In truth, I bought a pack of 4 caps. What I will do first is stuff two caps in the holes without the additional cut to see if they stay in place. If they do, no more cutting is required. If they don't, I have two spares and I can hit it with the router again.

Important takeaways: Be safe, don't try this at home, no warranties expressed or implied, at your own risk, etc. Be careful with your cuts so that you end up with a concentric, clean cut. The most important part is that you maintain a hole that is centered. You'll have oops moments where the router tips out a bit and you gouge a little, but as long as the majority of the circumference is clean and accurate, the balancer machine will be able to hold the wheel straight. Mine balanced just fine. If you get yours "off," what will likely happen is that the machine will balance the tires, but you'll end up with a wobble on the highway. The balancer relies on the fact that the tapered dies hold the wheel on the machine at the same exact angle that the wheel mounting face will hold the wheel on the truck. If those angles are off by even just a wee bit, it might cause headaches. The nice part about using a flush cut bit is that you greatly increase your chances of an accurate cut since you are using the factory's machined bore as your guide.

…. and don't expect to ever use that flush cut bit on wood again unless you really like the smell of wood smoke.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
HAHA, now I can find you.

curtis73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAHA, now I can find you.
Now I'll be going around to every tan colored Ranger and B-truck in town and spray painting their wheels to confuse you.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
235/75r15s with a 3" body lift on a 2010 2wd XLT. Hoping to add a limited slip and 4.10s and upgrade to 31s next time.
DSCF3233.jpg

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
88 rwd ranger. 6” skyjacker stage 2 lift. 33 12.5 swamper radials 15by10 wheels. 3” body lift 2” wheel spacers and bulge fenders going on in the next few wks. I’ll post more pics when it’s all together.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals