• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

doubler shafts

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone know the length of there doubler intermediate shaft, end to end?

ive been inquiring with carl jantz, from jantz engineering about having the stock transfer case shaft cut down and resplined, instead of press/weld 2 shafts together.

from the measurements that i have taken it seems that there would be plenty of room for this. (he says he cant spline right up to a shoulder, best he could do is about 3/4" away.) the spot he is talking about has, if i remember correctly 1 3/8" material before it hits the adapter plate( the large spline section that gets bored/press/welded.), i figure if he starts splining before the adapter plate all should be good and i could grind/cut off whatever excess shaft is left. and have a complete 2 1/4 shaft engagement.

the reason i am inquiring about this instead of pressing the 2 shafts together is because i have seen many threads where the 1350/1354 shreds the splines once the user hits the highway. i know there are many members here that are having no issues, so im not sure what the problem is, but id like to avoid it all together if i could. i saw on another forum where someone had the above stated issue with 2 shafts within a few hundred miles and someone posted a pic of what looked like a resplined stock shaft.

also im not sure if the oiling hole would cause any issues, but he shouldnt have to spline right up to it.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no input on any of this?

one thing im most worried about is that oil galley hole being a weak link.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sorry I don't have any info. I'm watching this to see if any good info turns up. I have an extra transfer case that I would like to use as a doubler some day. But getting that shaft made is the one part of the project that scares me.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
no input on any of this?

one thing im most worried about is that oil galley hole being a weak link.
I researched this many years ago and indeed the hollow inside of the shaft becomes a major weak link once the shaft diameter is turned down for it to be resplined.

Avoiding the hollow part (resplining only over the solid part) would add something like 3 inches of overall length to the doubler.

As for shafts eating the splines, that sounds like a misalignment issue with the adapter plates causing the shaft to run crooked between the cases (or possibly the shaft wasn't heat treated correctly afterward).

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I researched this many years ago and indeed the hollow inside of the shaft becomes a major weak link once the shaft diameter is turned down for it to be resplined.

Avoiding the hollow part (resplining only over the solid part) would add something like 3 inches of overall length to the doubler.

As for shafts eating the splines, that sounds like a misalignment issue with the adapter plates causing the shaft to run crooked between the cases (or possibly the shaft wasn't heat treated correctly afterward).
i have seen a few pictures where they just had the end of the shaft splined and just ran a fullsize box. being that i have an extended cab i dont see an issue with this. i asked carl jantz about the shafts eating themselves and he said that if he pointed a finger it would be at the heat treating.

i have seen all 3 doubler shafts work well, so what do you recomend? what shaft do you have?

ive seen some of carl jantz trouble shooting and machine work, he takes his time to ensure it gets done right, and charges a bit higher prices because of this, but id rather have it done right. so i trust his work.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have the D.D. Machine kit. It's just a pair of machined adapter plates and a one-piece chromoly shaft (you supply the 2nd t-case yourself).

If you were to respline a stock shaft as a 32 or 35 spline or something to fit a fullsize case, the hollow part of it likely would not present near as much of an issue.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the D.D. Machine kit. It's just a pair of machined adapter plates and a one-piece chromoly shaft (you supply the 2nd t-case yourself).

If you were to respline a stock shaft as a 32 or 35 spline or something to fit a fullsize case, the hollow part of it likely would not present near as much of an issue.
im not sure how far down the hollow part goes, but i dont think its far. in fact i think that it stops right about where the splining would start. (theres a smaller hole) < which i assume is the end. i think this is the route ill try first if it fails ive got 4 other shafts i can try a different design with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals