• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine questions

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
first time owning a 4.0 and not really familiar with newer electric tcases,
so I have a few newbie questions. first off the truck is a 95 explorer 4dr with a 4r55e and borg tcase. what I'm hoping to do is swap the built 3.8 and modded tko from the wrecked stang into it, now what im unsure of is wether or not the electric tcase will work without the explorer ecu, I already know about modding the tailshaft in the tko as I had the same setup in the f150 before I bought the 5.0, the second question I have is only if I have to use the explorer ecu, what I want to know is wether or not the 3.8 split port top end will bolt up to the 4.0 i've got no problem milling the combustion chamber, Ive custom built a new case for a 3.8 tbird super charger thats bolted to a split port lower intake, just wanted to check and see if bolts, oil and water jackets are in the same location. any help would be apreciated.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Want Vegas Odds on this project?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you could convert it to a manual w/ a shiftster..
or somewhere there is a company that make a lever actioned cable that is like $200 but really cool... that makes an electric shift into a manual hand shift. the shiftster you will have to be under the truck to change the t/case gear its in.. the other one, you actually mount to the side of the transmission tunnel inside the cab. i'm thinking of trying to make one.. lol

but honestly, i think you're biting off a big project.. why does the ex need more power? or a 3.8 that probably doesn't push out the torque at the lower rpms like the 4.0.. just supercharge the 4.0 and be done! lol hahahaha.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i think i have that manual lever cable shifter thing listed in my build thread.. but i have no clue where in the 70 pages it is... lol

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sure why not, I'm going to put a new engine in anyway but I figured I have a block that I know puts out some nice numbers why not see if it'll work, I guess it'd be easier to get advise if everyone knew my overall plan for this rig too. my eventual plan is to mod the suspension and shove a heavy duty f250 lowering kit under it so that I maintain close to stock ride hieght but pick up some extra towing capacity. I also have some tubular frame braces I'm fabing up to help prevent body flex :icon_welder: . I'm bassically planning on to tow my trailer, and turn it into my company truck, just wanted to gain some hp without loosing to much mpg and maybe save a little cash in the process, to make the interior a little nicer and maybe paint it.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
why not get an atlas or rubicon tcase? better low gears!

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
youd be surprised how much low end torque you can pick up with a mild cam and a tremec trans, like I said I had it in the f150 for a while and I actualy broke the rear axels

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm just thinking that 4.1:1 gears in a t-case would be better than the 2.48:1 that the bw1354 offers...

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not worried about it being a big project as its going to be a driveway decoration for awhile anyway. I'd really prefer to use the 3.8 anyway since I know its in good condition and I know its got decent power, its got a mild cam, split port head swap, ud pulley kit, an aluminum flywheel, the sc, an electric water pump, forged pistons, roller lifters and rockers, I've pretty much pushed it to its limit, its pushing close to 260 hp and around 300 ftlbs. then you add in the tko and aluminum drive shaft and it flew, maybe a bit too much as thats how the car ended up junk :D but back to the main topic my big concern is the ecu if there arent any sensors that send info to it then im good. any ideas on how to beef up the tcase and diffs would be apreciated also

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the ecu shouldn't be a problem for the t/case, best i can figure.. like i said, if nothing else find that lever action thing for it, or find a 1354m t/case.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't want you to think i'm arguing with you, I actually like your ideas, I just wanted to make it clear that this isnt some junkyard find its a nice built motor, and I also figured that itd perform a little better in the explorer then it did in the 150 since its a little closer to the wieght of the stang. plus its bassically a dust collector right now as I have no need for it, I swapped an 04 cobra motor into the new 95, not to mention its nice to be different sometimes, it was a head turner in the 84 150 and it was kinda funny to see peoples faces when theyd ask what kinda motor it had and you pop the hood and show them that little 3.8

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i didn't think any of that. and i'm not saying do some junkyard build w/ your motor... but what's the difference in using the 1354e that you have and a junkyard 1354m??? that way you could just not worry w/ the electronics for the t/case. also, this would give you an easy way to have Neutral in the t/case; makes it easy to tow if you need to.

i see what you're doing. would i do it? probably not...but that's not the point lol. i know NOTHING about the 3.8's. i mainly deal w/ 2.9, 4.0, 4.6, 5.0, and 5.8's. so i'm interested in the project.. i'm just tossing out any ideas i think about.

whatever you do, make a build thread and document everything.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will definately make a build thread, I dont know much about newer electronics which is why I asked, it only took me two days to get the 04 motor into the 95 stang but it took me almost two weeks to figure out the wiring. I prefer the classics, everythings simple and you can mod pretty much anything without getting a headache. as for tcases I really dont know much about them, this only my second 4x4 and the only thing I know about them is ford never gives you what you really need just like with transmissions. the 150 was an easy mod i just used a 250 as a donor and then put a 5.0 and a built up t56 in

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The transfer case needs to see a speed signal and a neutral signal before it will shift into low range. It has to see the vehicle moving slower than 3 mph and the trans in N or the clutch pushed in. The functions of shifting that year are not handled by the PCM, but I'm not sure if the 4x4 module get those signals directly from the speed and NSS sensors or if they are reported back from another module that would already have them (ie, the PCM).

If you go with the 3.8 computer you should at least have 4-hi, I can't guarantee that you will ever get 4-low working properly. But those electric shift 4wd systems were never the most reliable setup anyway. For sheer reliability of the system I'd go with what 4.0B2 is telling you and find a manual t-case somewhere.

kngfdrgn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 94, 95, 95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats why I asked, I'd hate to get everything together and then find out that it doesnt work. I will hit up the local parts yard and see what I can find. I Just thought about something else, can I swap the rear diff with the locker from the stang or is it going to cause problems?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals