• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 carb woes

Donald Lee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought an 84 Bronco ll off ebay. Came from California and I pretty well got taken on it. I live in Indiana. Nothing at all as descibed but I wont go into all of it. I did get my shipping refunded. Was supposed to be an exceptionally well running Bronco ll. Got it off the truck and took off. Started up a hill and I thought it died. I pulled off the road, put it in park, and it was still running. Took off again but it does this everytime you hit an uphill grade. Stopped and went into a business, came back out and it would'nt start. I held the gas peddal to the floor till it started and it blew out all kinds of black smoke. I've had every color of smoke there is come out of this at different times. Black, white, gray. Nothing consistent. Since Indiana has no inspections, what I would like to do is remove all of the smog controls, components, and the computer from the carb. It does have a newly installed rebuilt carb. Any advice or suggestions on this?? What problems I may face in acheiving this??

Thanks,
Donald Lee

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Check the compression and how is the oil pressure. If they both are good yea spark it. About $120 for the ignition system use the stock coil. Pull the engine harness and vacuum lines. The only vacuum you need is the for the dizzy but I left my vapor cannister stuff hooked up and wired the solenoids to the ignition circuit. You can use that carb if you add a metering block to it or find a good 2150 non feedback carb off a late 70s pinto or mustang II. If you get lucky and find a mustang or pinto it has all the parts you need. GL

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is the proper tool for "fixing" the carb.

Just open the hood, get a good bead on the carb, and pull the trigger.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The double jack also works real good or better known as a BFH a two handed mexican jack hammer. A single jack will work also it may take a few whacks. :)

Donald Lee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
This is the proper tool for "fixing" the carb.

Just open the hood, get a good bead on the carb, and pull the trigger.
Great idea!

Donald Lee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought an 84 Bronco ll off ebay. Came from California and I pretty well got taken on it. I live in Indiana. Nothing at all as descibed but I wont go into all of it. I did get my shipping refunded. Was supposed to be an exceptionally well running Bronco ll. Got it off the truck and took off. Started up a hill and I thought it died. I pulled off the road, put it in park, and it was still running. Took off again but it does this everytime you hit an uphill grade. Stopped and went into a business, came back out and it would'nt start. I held the gas peddal to the floor till it started and it blew out all kinds of black smoke. I've had every color of smoke there is come out of this at different times. Black, white, gray. Nothing consistent. Since Indiana has no inspections, what I would like to do is remove all of the smog controls, components, and the computer from the carb. It does have a newly installed rebuilt carb. Any advice or suggestions on this?? What problems I may face in acheiving this??

Thanks,
Donald Lee
Did the Duraspark conversion and it runs great! Many thanks to Jorley for tipping me off to this and many many more thanks to kimcrwbr1 for all of his help and knowledge allowing me to achieve this. Not being much of a mechanic his help and guidance was so appreciated!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals