• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me find vacuum leak?

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As the title says i cannot for the lufe of me find a vacuum leak. I have a high idle, right between 1000-1200 and the second i turn the engine off, if i remove a vacuum line from the plenum, its already lost vacuum. I tried the starting fluid trick as well as the unlit propane torch trick. I went all around thd throttle body, all along tge intake vasket as well as the plenum with an unlit torch. I hit every connection and followed the vacuum lines down to the next connection and got nothing. I also tried the plenum gasket and got no signs of a leak. Correct me if I'm wrong but the plenum should hold vacuum after the engine is shut off right? I dont know where else to look. Also my cruise control doesn't work, but i unplugged the line from the tree and capped it off to eliminate that possibility, thanks

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well for anyone who was wondering it was a bad throttle body gasket.

ranger1997

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Surprised that didn't show up with the starting fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Surprised that didn't show up with the starting fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah i even ran a propane torch around it and it didn't pick up. Glad I found it though

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it was good Saturday, i pulled codes and code 411 was gona. Now its Monday morning and it's back to a 1200 rpm idle. Kind of puts a damper on things. I called my local mechanic and they said its $120 for them to diagnose it. I'm now thinking that would be better instead of taking guesses.

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also id like to mention that unplugging the new idle air bypass valve while running does nothing. Nothing at all

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay well i got it in the shop and tgey said someone has tampered with the throttle body and drilled a hole in the butterfly valve thats not supposed to be there. I think thats the problem

Mike1919

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm going to the junkyard this weekend to get a throttle body, can i grab one off of a explorer with the 4.0? Also mine does not have an egr system. Are the throttle bodies different for the trucks with a 4.0 and egr compared to one without an egr valve. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals