• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 Ranger XLT 4.0L 2wd relay/GEM issues

chucktone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having a battery drain issue for the past few weeks. Changed the alternator and the drain was still there, like a gremlin of sorts. Sometimes the drain is overnight and other times a couple of days. I've checked voltages, continuities and amp draws. The worst I found was a .39 - .41 draw on the Fuse Junction Panel socket in the box under the hood. I know that isn't a whole heck of a lot so I knew something else intermittent was going on. About a week ago I heard a relay clicking when pulling the radio, but only briefly and not long enough to track it down. Yesterday I heard that same relay only this time it kept clicking and as it clicked the dome lights flashed from way dim to bright. The longer it went on the dimmer the lights until they were not on any more. I had been pulling fuses doing the light method searching for the draw and when I put #26 back in the relays started clicking. Looking on the circuit list led me to the auxiliary relay box and both the battery saver and interior lamp relays were clicking and warm to the touch. I went to remove the battery saver relay and they stopped but not for long. I don't know what is causing the relays to do what they're doing but it isn't the relay(s). I know this because all three relays I have are the same and I took the park lamps relay, which never clicked, and went to put it in the battery saver slot and as soon as the spades touched the sockets it started clicking immediately. I'm pretty certain the GEM is the next thing upstream from the auxiliary box? It appears whatever is causing the relays to chatter is causing the drain. I had a battery charger hooked up while I was doing this and it couldn't keep up with the drain while the relays chattered.

So I guess I'm looking for confirmation here that it's the GEM?? I've read here and a couple other forums about the GEM needing or not needing to be programmed by the old part. Some said '99s and newer needed programming?? Mine is a '99 XLT 4.0 2wd no power anything. I know where the GEM is located, used to work at LAP in Lou, KY and we made the Rangers there until '98/'99. I'd like to know if there is a way to test the GEM. If it's bad do I need to get the replacement programmed and if so where to take it to get that done?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals