• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PATS question

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im swapping a 01 2.3 dohc into a 98. Th 01 has a PATS key and the 98 doesnt. My question is what do i need to do to add the PATS to my 98 or better yet get rid of it all together. I already have to add the pcm because of the engine but im sure there's more to it. Is it swapping just the ignition, part of the ignition, the whole column? Please help

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should have Type E PATS on a 2001, so PATS is in the computer(PCM), earlier had separate PATS module, but still disabled fuel if computer didn't get OK from PATS module.

You can just get the Antenna from any PATS steering column, it is a wand(loop) style antenna found around the key cylinder.
And then put PATS key, that worked with that computer, inside that loop, tape it in place and put it out of the way under the dash.
This way regular '98 key will work in ignition.
When computer is first turned on(key on) it checks for correct PATS key number in wand, it will find it and all is well.

The guys that program PCMs, computer tuners, can disable PATS on most models but usually not inexpensive to have PCM programming done, even if that is all you want done.

Last edited:

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
RonD again for the win. I should just start messaging you directly. Thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals