• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I draw through the fuel pump?

Ranger289

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,

I've had my sbf swapped '98 Ranger on the road for several months now. I rigged up the fuel system initially just so it would be able to get me through our winter up here in the Great White North (eh). I've decided that it's time to go for something more elegant. Does anyone know if I can draw through the factory fuel pump with another one? I've already pulled the box once and I really don't want to do it again. I've already got a Carter pump picked out to run the right pressure for my carb and make the install quick and easy, and alleviate my worries about the factory pump not being enough to supply a 4 barrel Holley at full bore. If someone can answer me this question and maybe provide some insight I'd be much obliged.

This is the fuel pump I'm thinking of using.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/crt-p4070/overview/

Thanks guys.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Someone else was trying this recently. I believe that in practice, he found that the OEM pump in the tank was a restriction to flow. So, even though he had good pressure at idle, there wasn't enough flow to maintain pressure at higher loads/rpm. In other words - not a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Someone else was trying this recently. I believe that in practice, he found that the OEM pump in the tank was a restriction to flow. So, even though he had good pressure at idle, there wasn't enough flow to maintain pressure at higher loads/rpm. In other words - not a good idea.

I may have misunderstood. I assumed you are trying to avoid replacing a dead in-tank pump.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I may have misunderstood. I assumed you are trying to avoid replacing a dead in-tank pump.

I believe that the OP replaced a perfectly good EFI system with a carb and now is afraid that the 40 GPH 40+ PSI electric pump won't keep up with said carb, and wants to avoid doing the work to pull the in-tank pump out when putting an out of tank electric one.

If anything the OE pump is likely to over-feed the carb without a pressure regulator and return rigged in.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If anything the OE pump is likely to over-feed the carb without a pressure regulator and return rigged in.
Oh. That could be undesirable.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Ranger289

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's right. My in-tank pump currently works just fine, but the regulator I have doesn't return to the tank. When I first hooked it all up I ran a hose for a bypass but the pump didn't work properly without the bypass hose pinched right closed. I recently replaced the fuel filter and picked up a bunch of fuel pressure and flow (she was plugged right solid) so now I'm running in to fuel issues. Frankly, I'm very much considering replacing the pump with one that gives me 4-8 psi directly to just avoid all this stuff with the regulator. So you guys think the in-tank pump is too much of a restriction to run an inline pump effectively without removing it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me originally your engine needed everything the in tank pump could cram thru the plugged filter so you had to have the return pinched off.

I would try the regulator again.

Loganwildman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The stock fuel pump with a return style regulator will support a moderate built engine. Be sure to install a fuel pressure gauge at the carb.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's right. My in-tank pump currently works just fine, but the regulator I have doesn't return to the tank. When I first hooked it all up I ran a hose for a bypass but the pump didn't work properly without the bypass hose pinched right closed. I recently replaced the fuel filter and picked up a bunch of fuel pressure and flow (she was plugged right solid) so now I'm running in to fuel issues. Frankly, I'm very much considering replacing the pump with one that gives me 4-8 psi directly to just avoid all this stuff with the regulator. So you guys think the in-tank pump is too much of a restriction to run an inline pump effectively without removing it?
Just FYI: I fed a 3 carb setup (3x2 bbl Holleys) at WOT on a 400+HP 331 for 2 miles with a 30 gal/hr 4-7 psi inline electric pump drawing fuel from the factory return line with the rubber check valve removed. It doesn't take gobs of fuel to feed a carbed motor. 30 gal/hr translates to 2 mpg at 60 mph. The problem I had using the intank EFI pump was there was no power supplied to it after cutting power to the computer

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI. You cannot pull fuel through the intank pump, without powering it. You can’t suck fuel through it. Best to remove the pump. Extend the pickup tube. Then use whatever pump you desire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals